Upstairs Neighbor Appreciation

Hello Friends!

I was inspired by a thing I saw on RPG-D where you post your favorite line or piece of dialog from a buddy's latest post/posts/recent thread. And I thought it would be fun to turn that into a game here! I've seen so much love and appreciation being spread in the discord, but this is something we can all come back to and look at and its always there to see and appreciate!

So! The rules of the game are simple!

Post your favorite line or piece of dialog from one of the latest posts that the writer above you has posted!
Post the thread, the player, and character. Commentary is welcome :3

Since I am first I randomly rolled for a player :3

By: Leaf with Frank
Quote:Time would tell, but with them for right now should be enough.

I loved this, because it really does kinda capture the whole feeling of the jaguars about Asha, at least from Vidya's perspective as well. It's a sticky situation, but they still want her to be safe and cared for <3
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Mateo Mora-Padron
Quote:Nothing. Then the line broke.

”Puto.” He yelled, slammed a fist against the fucking steering wheel, and tossed his phone to the side. What the fuck happened to familia?

This reaction to Iago not answering is so vivid and real to me in like every single way and it's like you can totally feel his hurt and anger over it and I JUST LOVE IT. THANKS.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: RAZI

Quote:She landed on his bench with a sudden flourish of clumsy leathery winged-flapping, side-eyeing him and wondering just what his reaction would be.

I extremely love the way bat-Razi is written. There's such mischief in a very cute little package and I can just picture this FLAPPA FLAPPA wonderfully.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Ashley

Quote:Ashley had something in her teeth.

She was very sure if this, not based on any visual evidence, but the feel of something she could prod at with her tongue, yet not quite remove.

Armed with the dumb face required to keep attempting it anyway...

I felt this IN MY BONES (and my mouth). Ashley has always been a supremely relatable character. She is so grounded and real, whether she's dealing with the emotional anxiety of two catty psychics who want to trick people for profit or simple physical sensations like this. LOVE.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Tatum
Quote: Blood dribbled down his chin, the pair of them haloed in the orange light of the lamp post. He was going to kill him, but the panic and repulsion that flared inside him was washed away by the delicious stickiness of liquid red.

Really this whole post by Lyss (and the thread in general) is really well done. I am pretty squicked out by vampire stuff, especially during bloodlust, and this isn't really an exception, but it's just really well written and Lyss has a delightful vocabulary that is used without being forced. Tatum is definitely a character to be watching at this point!!
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(im gonna try and not do this too often i dont wanna hog buttttt)

Smol Boys
By: Iago
Quote:Apathy, no matter how well meaning, was not welcome here in any form, even dressed up in the guise of cheerful acceptance.

Listen, this entire freakin thread is just great, but I especially love this because look they are communicating and learning.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Heidi Wolf

Quote:A bottle of the cheapest Scotch she could find. Around the neck of it was a blue ribbon she'd snagged from Jonas' bike handle, and attached to it was a little folded piece of paper with a hand written note.

I loved this in particular because of how effectively it characterises Heidi; as sorry as she is, there is still a little tongue in cheek about her gift giving. What's interesting is that she then decides that this cheap bottle of Scotch isn't enough. Guilt for cheaping out? Or wanting to go above and beyond? You decide.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Dylan Fletcher

Quote:But, for all his trepidation in coming to meet her, she had left him with very little choice. Cornered and collared, now caught in the snare of a life he'd abandoned, he had come to prise himself free of those steel jaws. To determine what might be salvaged or saved. With a sigh, Fletch rested his forearms on the steering wheel, and cast a frail prayer to whomever was up there listening that he wouldn't have to gnaw the limb off entirely.

The imagery here is so powerful, and so devastatingly fitting for a man feeling backed into corner, who also shares headspace with a furbearer that is commonly snared and trapped in footholds. I am always in awe of Limn’s captivating and clever wordcraft! :)
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Kenzie Crowther AKA Little Crow <3

Quote:She reached out and grasped her packmate's wrist. Her eager and wriggling wolf took that bridge and cuddled up to Natalie's with rubs and licks. It was strange, these interactions. She could see them clear as day in her mind's eye. She knew not what to think of them though. It was maybe less an actual wolf that shared space with her thoughts and more a manifestation of the energies between her and those who shared the affliction (she needed a better term for it; this manner of thinking did not align with her ambition to accept who and what she was). Magical imagery.

I feel this is wonderful because describing how your character's beast interacts with others and dealing with those interactions and instincts is taking it to a WHOLE other level. Not only is Kris still getting used to this feeling, but she's trying to identify who she is in that moment while the wolf plays and frolics in that metaphysical space. I love reading a character's thought process and emotion and I feel Kris does that really well in all of her posts. Kenzie is always a joy to read.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Riley

Quote:The microwave beeped several times, making her get up from the confines of her comfy couch and the comforter that she had been cocooned in, eager to dump her popcorn into a bowl and watch some YouTube video about bears fishing. She figured it'd help her own bear when others weren't around. She was shoving some popcorn into her mouth when there was a wrap on her door. Strange. She never got visitors. Riley went to answer it, bowl of popcorn wedged between her left, arm-in-a-splint and her ribs.

I enjoy this bit because you can picture it so well and it makes me want to get SO COZY WITH SOME POPCORN. Also you can so clearly picture how she's carrying the bowl, the whole scene is vivid and snuggly. Need popcorn pls.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Ben

Quote:The scent of food had led a soft, supple, hungry rat Ben toward a glass jar discarded outside of the shopping mall. The opening was a bit tight for the head, but Ben was dedicated to lapping up the small collection of unknown, savory smelling liquid at the opposite side of the jar.

Drew is very adept at giving all her characters different voices; Beau is different from Abraham is distinct from Ashley etc. With Ben she toes the line between empathy and revulsion perfectly, and it's openings like this which keep me reading the escapades of this strange, sad little rat man. What's in the jar? Do we want to know? For me he evokes a sick sense of curiosity, but with that is a love for Drew's efficient use of language to portray how Ben perceives his world. Just so great.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look okay I'm pausing myself on this after this but I really needed to get in some Limn love

By: Fletch
Quote:Depending on your outlook, Fletch's coat was either a minefield or a treasure trove. Both his keys and his wallet were easily found in the vast and numerous pockets of the waxed cotton jacket. But lurking there too was the miscellanea otherwise found in the bottom of a handbag; boiled sweets and bottle openers; lighters, string and matches; packet sugar, tissues, lipstick. Snagged in the ring of his keys was a brightly coloured ribbon. Gold foil lurked in the folds of his wallet. On receipt, he considered folding the tired leather back on itself and presenting the photo tucked into the inner sleeve.

Listen, it is no freaking secret that Limn is not only a masterful wordsmith, but the detail and care she puts into personifying Fletch is just magnificent. This snippet from what I'm pretty sure is one of my favorite threads I've participated in to date is such a good example of both. Literally just talking about the contents of this old man's coat says so much about him as a person, and its written beautifully. Fletch feels like a living, breathing person in all of his posts and just huge big round of applause to Limn for being able to manage it with such grace.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Mateo
Quote:Mateo, for all the signs that might suggest it, was not a heavy sleeper. He'd woken up to possibly every scenario imaginable in his life; screaming, yelling, gun shots, being smacked with pillows, being pinched, pushed, slapped, having his hair stroked, his nose kissed, a blow job. Waking up to the smell of coffee was high on the list of preferred ways to wake up. Especially when the idea of opening his eyes was possibly lowest on his list of things he wanted to do.

Look no character with barely a hundred posts has a right to feel so fleshed out. What a concise way to give background and some unexpected details to a character! I love it.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Pete

Quote:Except, that was her. She was stuck. And seeing Snagglepuss happy to see her was not enough to unwedge herself from the mire. She straightened as he approached, and then prickled with a low-grade electrical current as he ignored her, just to get a rise. Becky was outer than she should be, making Pete's eyes all black, but she figured the look would show her disapproval. She blinked at him and began to dial up a smirk. "Least I look good some of the time. You look like a Home Alone villain at the end of the movie."

I laughed like an actual hyena reading this part. That metaphor killed me and then brought me back with an ouija board. Every bit of this soaked with Pete's character and she feels to very real to me in a way that only someone with such amazingly written flaws and motivations can be.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Samuel

Quote:The Dominus, powerful as he is, was very out dated in his modern knowledge. Samuel did not think it appropriate to explain the lustful ways of humans, believing the Dominus likely had not needed to satisfy any sexual urges since his turning. Samuel still felt regular arousal of his own, but that must be due to his much more recent transformation. He might miss that in the future, but the eternity before him, if he played his cards right, was a very long time indeed. Long enough for such desires to fade away.

I have actually only just recently started reading Samuel and I'm honestly real mad I didn't start sooner! Scarlett is so good at sticking to a character even when things get embarrassing or otherwise misconstrued. This section in particular made me laugh out loud more than once. Ah, the joys of presumption and being so new to a way of life. I love Samuel looking to the distant future, too, what a dude.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Wallace

Quote:He opened his mouth to respond in that furious way that could only be attained when you had brought this upon yourself and your opponent was a friend. Like, Abraham, he is going to kick you ass so hard you goddamn hyena--

But then the purple comment shut snapped his mouth shut audibly, as any and all words would have been lost in the tumult of laughter, and probably would have only made matters worse because asdlkjfaljlfjffff, ABRAHAM.

Hands slapping once the table as he did, in fact, stand, and it took not very much effort at all to shove the table being used to balance into the other man's personal space by several inches. Inches which Abraham and his balance could probably not afford to give.

Bringing back an old one, but honestly the fight between Wallace and Abraham (shout out to drew also) about the color of Tiger man's eyes is hands down some of the funniest shit I have ever read in my life. It goes so fast from teasing to TEASING to "Oh boy are they really fighting about this??" so fast and it's so fun to re-read.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jamaal Felix Wrote:She was just as off-kilter as he was about it all, if he was understanding her anxiety right. The foxuar moved to relax his posture, trying to just. Understand what was happening here. But it wasn't understandable. Not for an animal and certainly not for his very new to this human.

He stretched his head forward, seeking a sniff, but more than that feeling for the sense that she was indeed still a fox, only in a confusing and wrong form. And then, of course, it was followed by the most natural reaction any animal, regardless of form or size, could have.

He bolted away from her to hide behind a tree, peeking out from it. Or well, "hide." He was too big and round for any tree to do him justice as a hiding spot.

Just take a moment to imagine a huge hunking Jaguar trying to hid behind a tree. Man this whole post is just making me die laughing. And I really love how Hal is able to pull out Jamaal's utter confusion to the whole mess but in a comical way. Hal's really good at adding humor to a lot of their posts and is always a fun read.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Yue
Quote:She was very hungry. Candy wrappers did not help the gnawing in her stomach, not the way this screaming meat would. Opening up her small mouth she would bite down with teeth intent on ripping, shearing, anything to get at the food.

Little pieces of flesh would be pulled away and she would clutch at it with both paws and chew furiously.

So very hungry.

Yue and Ben have had a confusing, ill-fated magic since they first met, and I was really excited to see them run into each other again. This obviously won't end well, but while it lasts, you get these very strange moments of simpatico among just..absolute horror. I don't think a lot of players would lean into such a strange development for their characters, but Amelia, you do a great job with it and I kind of can't look away. I love that she still has a Yue naivete to her while also, you know. Eating a human body![/quote]
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By: Sokol Petruška

Quote:He snarl-honked at the boulderlike head dropping down on him...

This line creates such a fun sound in my head and a clear image too! Like having Sokol 'chitter bravely' or by having him replicate 'the brazen yell of a rubber chicken'. Bamsy's use of colorful and unique diction and turns of phrases bring her characters to life. I don't have as much time or attention span as I like to stalk all the incredible plots and threads that happen around here, but I've been closely following Sokol's struggles this past while. The quality of the writing and story has captivated me! :)
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh