Heavy-Handled

The Mountainside Renaissance Fair 
The mid day sun peeked through the smattering of clouds, reminding the Festival revelers with its warm rays that summer was still trying to cling onto the first few days of September. Only the gentle, cool breeze hinted at autumn's upcoming arrival.

Even though the occasional sunlight was hot, it didn't stop a certain Sheridan Howe from putting on the ol' Renaissance Razzle Dazzle. His pirate hat was almost comical with its large brim size, and a green feather bobbed with his every step. A dark emerald cape hung from his shoulders, billowing with near-over dramatic flair that honestly suited the man who wore it. Over his black jerkin, Sheridan sported with confidence a bandolier of sheathed silver knives. On occasion he fiddled with the cheap leather arm guards that kept bunching up around his wrists, but nonetheless, Sheridan didn't let that dampen his joy. He was here to see and be seen. And maybe peruse the craft and weapons shops.

On his way to said booths, he pased by the game booths, eyeing them with interest. Archery, axe throwing, hurling tomatoes, tests of strength-- Oooh, and knife throwing! Already there were a few people playing the game, knives bouncing off the wooden boards or clattering to the ground. The employee running the knife booth saw that it had caught Sheridan's eye, and shouted out in a thick accent across the way, "Oi! Lookit ye, prancin' around like ye something's big! Thems knives just for show?!"

Sheridan had seen more than once today how these booth employees tried heckling festival goers to try to get their attention, and it certainly worked. Sheridan looked around, eyes blinking owlishly, before deciding that indeed, he was the one being spoken to. He sauntered up to the booth, taking note of the price to play. He stopped before the man, a coy smile on his face. "Wanna bet that five dollars right there that they aren't?" He jutted a thumb at said sign.

"Oi'll take 'at bet. But ye gotta use me knives 'ere." The booth runner smirked back, reaching into the booth and slapping five gray knives down onto its counter.

Without hesitation, Sheridan plucked up the knife, weighing it in his fingers while the employee watched with a sour smugness. Hm, handle heavy, and not adequately balanced. It was definitely a cheap knife, though it had to be, considering customers like the ten year old to his left just hurled his knife over the wood target and into pure gravel. Gauging the distance, Sheridan took a step back and slipped the handle in his palm. Without a moment's hesitation, he lifted his arm and in a single, swift motion, sent the knife spinning into its target. A solid "PAP" broke through the sounds of clanging knives as Sheridan's knife embedded itself into the middle ring of the target. Not quite the bullseye, but definitely not far from it. The employee's smile began to falter.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

outfit and she is wearing a single silver ring

A softly impressed whistle would sound out some yards behind him. "Nice," Rika grinned, having paused her crafts perusal to take a look at what all the commotion was.

"I think you should try again, though."

But she'd keep the distance between them if he did, because she was, naturally, going to tap into her abilities to see if he was anything special.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sheridan picked up the next knife, though a sound from behind made him toss a glance over his shoulder. An equally festive individual appeared to be watching him. He gave the woman a confident smile. "But of course! I have a hungry gentleman here who needs to be eating his own words!"

He twisted the knife briefly in his hand again to adjust for the imbalance and sent it stwirling through the air much like the last one. "PAP!" This one landed a little closer to the bullseye than the last one, though still not close enough for Sheridan. He shot the booth runner a smirk, who dropped his thick-accented charade long enough to toss a sheepish grin right back. "Ya know I still gotta have you pay for this, right?"

"Yeah, I know, buddy," he said back quietly as he took the next one, rolling his shoulder and slapping his cape out of the way.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The guy who tossed the knives was jovial, and she couldn't help a grin.

Rika watched, arms folded, sleeves poofing out for it a little. And as he tossed his next round, she tapped into that sense. Yup — definitely a something.

A bad or a good something? At least there were lots of people around. Daytime. Outside. All that stuff.

Anyway, he seemed to be doing pretty good!

"You do that a lot?" she asked, head tilted.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"A lot--" The next knife went flying sticking just an inch over from the last one he'd tossed. "-- Less than I'd like to lately, but yeah! Trying to call myself a professional, but I'm pretty sure I gotta be paid to call myself that." He scowled for a moment, unimpressed with his results so far.

He picked up the fourth and, taking a bit more care, he wound up his arm and let it go again. Finally, it dug into the very edge of the bullseye. "That's more like it!" He did a little victory fist pump before grabbing his final knife.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Could a shifter do so well? Or so poorly? She wasn't sure, suddenly. It was amusing in any case to see him keep going for it.

He got it on target on the fourth, and accidentally invested, Rika jumped and clapped her hands. "You did it! Does that mean you get to win something?" Rika asked, looking from him to the board to the guy running the game looking like he had an unpleasant smell up his nose.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Though Sheridan opened his mouth to respond, it was the employee who spoke up first, adopting his begrudging, heavy accent once again, ""Nay, miss, and a good thing, too! This feller 'ere might've been tryin' t'hustle me!""

Sheridan threw the man a smirk and, tipping his flamboyant hat at the employee with the tip of the knife, he hurled it at the board to meet with the rest of them. "PAP!" It stuck a little further left than the last knife, landing just a few inches from the bullseye. "Aw, shit," he huffed, earning him a scolding glance from an elderly grandmother nearby. "Not quite. Dang knives aren't weighted as well as I'd like."

He moved to fish his wallet out of his back pocket, breaking the medieval illusion he had been going for with his outfit. Placing the proper five dollars on the counter, he then jabbed a thumb back at the boards, looking to the woman. "You wanna give it a go, too?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What! Why not! Rika mostly tossed the employee a confused and huffy look, but anyway. Apparently, that one hit wasn't enough to win. The dude lost with some measure of grace at least. And then invited her up!?

"Me?" she asked. "I've never... well — okay."

Never having done something before was a reason to give it a go, wasn't it? She wished she could teleport and cheat to win, but anyway. Rika grinned as the employee pulled out the knives and set five new ones down for her. Rika grabbed one and flung it with confidence, landing it on the third ring out from the center.

Oops.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Though the woman was a little taken aback by the offer, Sheridan was glad to see that she was willing to jump in on the fun, too. He had to admit her was curious to see how well she might do. It was clear to see that knife throwing typically didn't come naturally to most, given the copious amount of knifes that littered the ground in front of the targets. Tugging another five dollars from his wallet to slip to the employee, he stepped back out of the way to watch.

Much to his surprise, it seemed she actually made the target. "Woah-ho, nice hit!" he cheered, eyebrows up in amusement. Perhaps it had just been a lucky shot, though judging by how well the tossed it, that might not be the case.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh no, oh no, it was absolutely pure luck she hit the board at all, but she didn't do that well did she? She hadn't hit the center. But he was congratulating her anyway, so Rika beamed.

"Thanks! I'm a natural, I guess," she played herself up with clearly faux pride. "Round two:"

Fuckin' missed entirely. Rika stared as it sailed over, and then laughed.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sheridan bit his lip to stifle his laughter, but it didn't work. He meant to be polite about it, but she was laughing, too, so at least she had a good sense of humor about it.

"Ha! That one was just a fluke, right? Give it another go. You got it!" He crossed his arms over his chest, shifting them slightly over the sheathed knives strapped to his chest.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Debatable, friendly pirate guy!

Rika grinned anyway and moved to miss! And miss! And miss!, though the last time she did manage to graze the board. "Beginner's luck!" she called it, huffing. At least she wasn't a sore loser about it all.

"Thanks, anyway. Name's Rika," she held her hand out, silver ring engaged to see if he'd yelp and burn himself on it or just turn out to be the other, less dangerous kind of interesting.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sheridan's full attention was on her knives as she practically threw the rest away. Nonetheless, he still gave her some quips of encouragement each time. Even as the last one nicked the board, he clapped. "A good show, nonetheless! Nice job! It's tough even getting one on the board starting out." Even the employee broke character long enough to give her a small smile.

He bounded a couple of steps over to her, not hesitating to take her hand with the silver ring and give it a firm, single shake. "Any time. Nice to meet you, Rika. Name's Sheridan. Thanks for humoring me with this whole thing. I know plenty of people would have just walked away." He said gratefully. Sure, he might have paid for her game so at least she had nothing to lose, but he wasn't unfamiliar with the cringey smiles and head shakes that came with said rejection.

"You just getting here today? Or have you been here for a while?" He moved to step away from the counter, allowing someone else the space to try their hand at the mini game.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The commentary! He was very encouraging, and Rika did like that.

Even better, there was no burn from the silver, which meant he wasn't an animal person, which meant she would lose some built up tension in her shoulders and give him a real eased up smile. "Been here a little while," she nodded. "This stuff is kinda fun. You do it a lot?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He gave a little shrug, pushing his cape out of of the way so he could tuck his thumbs into his belt. "I try to, as much as I can. Gotta have a break from reality every once and a while!" Unless she was referring to his knife throwing, in which case... Oops!

"What about you? Judging by your fanciful attire, you don't seem like you'd be here just to watch the parade of nerds." Ick, nerd. He didn't care to label himself as such, but he wasn't above acknowledging it when he joined in on such activities.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

On the other hand, you had Rika: "I am a nerd!" she answered proudly. "But yeah, thought I'd test out my costume before the big party at the end of the month. You competing?"

She was gonna win, so.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh