Halfway House

Yellow Pages 
How's life at Highland Haven?
Sperm Donor

Not having seen the place for himself, but content to pay down on a room without bedbugs, the name conjured images of stag heads on walls, tartan curtains and piping in the dawn. He cringed.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tolerable. Better than the van, at least.
What are we going to do long term?
Heather

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Always cut straight to the point.

Long term, we'll rent somewhere.
I need to sell the van before that.
Sperm Donor

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Will a dealership even take that?
If not we could always try selling it to a shop. There's one in Crestview called Shift Happens. I went there to get everything checked out before I left for California. They're decent.

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nope. But someone on the private market will snap it up.
Adult lesson #1 from Dad: You always make more money selling something privately than to a dealer.
Anyway, not something you need to worry about.
In the meanwhile, I've found somewhere for us to stay.
-address pin to 1300 Barachois Lane in Cedar Creek-
Sperm Donor

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It looked like shit on Zillow, but again, better than a van. Mercifully ignoring her father's condescension, she soldiered on.

Okay. When should I check out?

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wednesday. May as well get your money's worth out of Highland Haven. I'll have your room ready by then too.
Sperm Donor

The bed was already turned down and waiting, but Heather didn't need to know that.

By the by, did you have any luck with your job hunt?
Sperm Donor

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Her face scrunched like a bit of dough that had been pinched.

Did you?
Heather

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Take it that's a no, then?
Sperm Donor

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not yet.

The question as good as a stinging barb. He could get away without holding a steady or well-paying job for decades, but the moment she needed to get one the expectation was immediate.

It's not like I'm not trying.

Highschool, as rigorous and demanding as it was, didn't cater to practical education. She didn't know how to piece together a resume for what she was looking for, nor did she know how or what to say during an interview. But she'd much rather defer blame than let her deficiencies show.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm sure you're trying.
We could sit down and go through your resume if you wanted?
Sperm Donor

He tried not to succumb to his suspicion that his eldest daughter was procrastinating. She had been tenacious enough in her research of him to outline her ability to apply herself to a task. Still, the fear lingered. They hadn't time to rest on their laurels. Worried for their circumstances come the end of the month as he was his ability to support her, he racked his brains on how to help.

In a past life his solution would have been to dip into his own network; asked his neighbours, friends and ex-colleagues if any of them had room for an apprentice, part-timer or intern. But the only people he really knew in Mountainside were shifters, and with Heather's powers of deduction, he didn't trust her around them alone.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He’d so recently earned back the title of ‘father’. It seemed too generous, too soon, to give him the title of ‘mentor’ too.

Don’t worry about it. That’s what Google is for.

She let the message sit, locking her phone and setting it down before she picked it back up again.

But thanks for the offer.
Heather

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Google knew some things. Mostly how to collect people's shitty advice.

Half way through funnelling the hurt into a response, the second text knocked him off course.

Still stands if you change your mind x
Sperm Donor

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh