Down Low

Meyer's Zoo & Aquarium 

So, it was more like seven fifteen by the time she was pulling into the parking lot of the zoo. That was because no one knew how the fuck to drive when it got cold and wet. She almost wanted to park somewhere and fly the rest of the way, but in the chance it started raining again, she didn't want to regret it. It was actually kind of not the best weather for a zoo visit, but it was the day they'd decided, so here she was. She didn't get cold, but she wore the sweater anyway.

When she parked and stepped out, she immediately turned on her nose and went sniffing for a lion. It wasn't hard, because at this point, her nose was pretty much acutely accustomed to lion smell. She was like a TSA dog for but for lion boys. So off she went, and it wasn't too hard to find him near his fancy man car that she'd loaded his naked ass into once. As soon as she saw him, her Gay Mother Pride threatened to pop her sternum in half, and she would have sworn her dead little raisin heart actually did a single heartbeat. Her face hurt from grinning so big, and about a few yards away from him she slipped into a wide-stepped diddy, toes pointed out and arms shimming side to side as she approached him. "You!" She said!

@Sokol

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sokol managed to get here on time. Just saying. But it was nice to see Safiya at a decent hour, now that the sun was setting so quickly. He was on his phone when she spotted him, but his ears pricked at the sound of...some weird walk, and an inhale as he looked up confirmed, there was his friend!

God, she was dressed like a laundry pile and was doing some caper at him, but she was so obviously happy. What could he do but smile? The phone disappeared into a pocket and he beamed at her, feeling. A little...proud. But then embarrassed about feeling proud. "Hi," he answered sweetly, momentarily too embarrassed to make fun of her jeans and sweater.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi! She was going to explode! He didn't go in for a hug, but he looked available for one. Safiya wasn't the most huggy, but she did move in to wrap him into one, squeeeeezing and not caring that it was probably gross to hug her because she was so cold. "HiIAmSoProudOfYouuuuuuuuu." She said as she hugged, and then when she finally let go, and sighed out a heavy sigh and stepped back to look up at him, hands on her hips. "I don't know all what for, but I am."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Safiya threw her arms around him, and he was temporarily saturated with vampire-stink, an experience not unlike being hugged by someone very old and making up for hygiene slippage with...whatever they used. Toilet water and baby powder. But he was fairly used to it at this point and managed to hold his breath while hugging back sincerely. He didn't mind the cold.

She went straight to sizing him up after that, and he couldn't do much else but smile a little lopsidedly; it wasn't like he looked different, right? That would be insane. "Well...thank you, then." Cool, a new situation he didn't have words for apparently. Maybe he would be lucky and Safiya would make up the difference.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

God, what a nerd. She was prompting him to tell her all about it, but maybe that was rushing it. "Lets go get tickets." She said after a moment, resigning herself to easing into the conversation. She'd take point on heading toward the ticket booth. What if a real lion tried to jump out of its enclosure and fight Sokol?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not talking about it was actually great, if they could do that. He had to move fast to keep up with her, bouncing along behind as probably everyone did with Safiya. That youthful energy, was that something you could grow out of if you were stuck forever in your twenties?

He paid for his ticket and studied the reception area curiously; it looked like quite a modern facility and it was saturated with information about the zoo and zoology in general. Moderately interesting. "Have you been here before?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Tickets secured, they would move into the building that already kind of smelled like animal. But that was just her vampire nose, which she had the luxury of turning off. Aside from having to pull in air to speak. "Not here, no!" She said with a shake of her head, chipper and excited as they made their way to the doors that would take them into the outdoor pathways that snaked through the zoo. "So, like I know you said they don't like you, but do you like animals?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They had the place practically to themselves, with such bad weather. That was a relief. He was still looking at signage when Safi popped a question, which, another relief, was not back on the whole...dating subject. "I guess so. Elephants and things. And I used to want a dog, until." A smile, a shrug. "I got a lion instead."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Elephants. Safi grabbed his arm, "Elephants are my favorite." She informed him, because it was very important information. "I like your lion though." She said with a growing grin, and glanced to him as she added, "I got a cat because of it."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The arm grab he would take as an opportunity to link arms at the elbow, still ambling along. In grade school, he had done a report on elephants, and then found a way to introduce elephants into the next assignment, and for a while had kept building up this one area of knowledge because it meant he had to read and research as little as possible for each new assignment. Just find a connection, do a little work on that, and pad the rest of the thing out with a whole familiar piece on Loxodonta africana. Then someone with enough social cache to challenge him had said he was obsessed with elephants, and the whole game was ruined.

(He had not been obsessed. They were moderately interesting. He had just really loved it as a scam!)

He smiled at her while privately reliving this, because of course he liked that she liked his lion. "Really, you did?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look at them, Dorothy and the Lion. They just needed the Scarecrow and Tinman and they'd be off to see the Wizard. She beamed up at him as he smiled, because he was so adorable, and nodded, "Yes! His name is Horus, and he has one eye." She informed him, but left out the part where he was pretty much the love of her life. Well, Osiris actually was the love of her life, but Horus was in close second.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He had enough time to put on an offended look at the fact she hadn't named it Sokol, but that dropped away when she disclosed that it was defective. He scratched at his nose and looked at the directory signs. "How did he lose it?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually, she wasn't sure? Maybe she would ask Tikanni. It really didn't matter. "I dunno, but he really doesn't let it bother him. I think he has super-vision in the one now without the other." Just a theory. Maybe he could be a superhero. She glanced to where Sokol was, up at the signs. One went toward reptiles, the other toward "the savanna".

"You want to see snakes or real lions?" She questioned.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's the whiskers, he thought. They were a sensory organ a human being was not inclined to understand. Then that made him wonder how well Safiya was able to see as a bat, and if she was capable of echolocation? That was really interesting actually.

But he frowned at the choice in front of them. "I don't like to see lions. They look small and mine wants to kill them." It was weird :(.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"That's depressing. Snakes it is." She said, and with her linked arm, would tug and start leading him that way. Her steps were light, almost skipping, because she was just so freaking happy right now. Eventually, as they approached the doors that lead into the indoor cave-like building, she would speak up. "So, your friend... he's a lion, too, right?" :3.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Goodness, Safiya. He wasn't feeling springy, but it was hard not to perk up a bit. Opening the door for them both, he tried to access some ability to talk about...the whole Iago thing. "He is."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"So you do like one lion." She knew it wasn't the same thing, but she said it for the sake of raising her brows suggestively. It smelled like straight up ass in here, and she wished she could breathe less, but talking required it. "Or more than like." Did he LOVE HIM?? Honestly he'd been so vague about his actual feelings about this mystery boy, other than he felt Things and they'd been Troubling. God, she wanted to cry right now because he'd just done so well. The fact that he was here right now and had told her thank you was enough for her. That didn't mean she wouldn't pry for more.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It definitely was stinky in here, in a way that made his cat push to look out the window, eager to roll in something or kill it. Human Sokol was busy feeling simultaneously giddy and uncomfortable, half-smiling at his little vampire friend as they approached the first vivarium. "Are you trying to ask something?" And hey, while they were on the subject could she not ask that? Because it might make Sokol's heart fall out of his butt.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, duh. "I meeeeaaann, nothing specific." She said with a shake of her head and a curling smile. "Except, for like, all the details. What exactly were you saying thank you for, Simba?" Like, it was cruel at this point not to share, right? She was being nosy.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

His eyes widened momentarily, as if he were indulging her in a pretty weird request! Then he sighed and almost shrugged a little, relaxing. "I was just saying thank you for being good and listening to me the other day. It was helpful." He glanced down at her, one of his dumb cherub smiles peeking out.

Did jokes ping her truth-radar as lies?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She squinted. It... well, it wasn't a lie, but she knew there was more than that. All it took was one look at that stupid smile. She didn't trust it, Sokol. "Okay, but how? You did talk to him, right? And like..." She trailed off and instead looked away to a tank built into the wall. Look, lizards!
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He wasn't making her mad and that was no fun. Getting closer to the tank, he watched the geckos inside blink dilated eyes at him and scatter. "Yeah, we talked." Uh oh dumb smile incoming. Fight it!! "It went well."

At this point he was not teasing so much as he was incapable of describing whatever was going on with him and Iago. Was there a word for really good friends who made out and held hands all the time?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh