Good Reads

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... the man who never reads lives only once."
- George R.R. Martin

Books were my first love. I started reading and writing stories when I was five years old and the love has never died. I don't read as much as I should anymore, but I'd like to change that! So I've started this thread to share our favorite genres, authors, and titles to inspire each other. Swap away!

I can't think of all of my favorites right now so I'll just start with one: White Oleander by Janet Fitch. A captivating coming-of-age story with a dark twist, beautifully written and hard to put down.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I read White Oleander and I had to take a long time afterwards to replenish the mental health I'd lost in the wreckage. It's a good book, it's just very sad.

The very best book I have read thus far is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. An odd way to tell a story but effective. The book is addicting and it's the first I have been late for work because of.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, plus the sequels. The writing and the story reels you in immediately and doesn't let go.

Does anyone here have a goodreads account? click!
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lonesome Road - Joe R Lansdale
An anthology of Wild West Weird stories. Zombie horde attacks a town, cursed werewolves, Kobolds attack a mining camp, a monster hunt through a cemetery. Good stuff and fun.

But I like mysteries:

Rex Stout writes the Nero Wolfe series, it starts in the late 1930s, with some really well-crafted mysteries that don't cheat and reserve clues until the very end.

For a current series, I like the Meg Lanslow mystery series by Donna Andrews. They're a fun read and quick page-turner.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Here are some of my favourites, not necessarily horror and in no particular order:

· House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
· Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides (I think this is superior to The Virgin Suicides)
· Invisible Monsters, by Chuck Palahniuk (the guy who wrote Fight Club. This was actually his first novel but it wasn't published until after Fight Club as it was deemed too disturbing.)
· The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson (This is non fiction but covers the Chicago World's Fair where the Ferris wheel was invented - the "white city", and one of the first recorded serial killers, H. H. Holmes.)

· Deerskin, by Robin McKinley (I don't love this one but it's in keeping with the twisted fairytales discussion.)

Other books / anthologies I mentioned in Slack:

· White as Snow, by Tanith Lee (who also has done various fairy tale retellings in collaboration with other writers).
· Edgar Allan Poe

One more cos Maisie Williams is starring in a movie version:
· The Forest of Hands and Teeth, by Carrie Ryan (the rest of the series is rubbish, forget it exists other than this book)

One more cos dystopia:
· Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley (everyone remembers Orwell and The Handmaid's Tale but this one is also great)
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I second House of Leaves and Chuck Palahniuk. My favorites from him are Haunted, Diary, Invisible Monsters, and Lullaby in no particular order!

Further, might I add:

N0S4A2 by Joe Hill
"Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son."

Bird Box by Josh Malerman
"Something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.

Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remain, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place where they might be safe. Now, that the boy and girl are four, it is time to go. But the journey ahead will be terrifying: twenty miles downriver in a rowboat—blindfolded—with nothing to rely on but her wits and the children’s trained ears. One wrong choice and they will die. And something is following them. But is it man, animal, or monster?"

The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer
"Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; the second expedition ended in mass suicide; the third expedition in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another. The members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within weeks, all had died of cancer. In Annihilation, the first volume of Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy, we join the twelfth expedition."

Night Film by Marisha Pessl
"On a damp October night, beautiful young Ashley Cordova is found dead in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. Though her death is ruled a suicide, veteran investigative journalist Scott McGrath suspects otherwise. As he probes the strange circumstances surrounding Ashley’s life and death, McGrath comes face-to-face with the legacy of her father: the legendary, reclusive cult-horror-film director Stanislas Cordova—a man who hasn’t been seen in public for more than thirty years.

For McGrath, another death connected to this seemingly cursed family dynasty seems more than just a coincidence. Though much has been written about Cordova’s dark and unsettling films, very little is known about the man himself.

Driven by revenge, curiosity, and a need for the truth, McGrath, with the aid of two strangers, is drawn deeper and deeper into Cordova’s eerie, hypnotic world."

The Croning by Laird Barron
"Strange things exist on the periphery of our existence, haunting us from the darkness looming beyond our relight. Black magic, weird cults and worse things loom in the shadows. The Children of Old Leech have been with us from time immemorial. And they love us . . . Donald Miller, geologist and academic, has walked along the edge of a chasm for most of his nearly eighty years, leading a charmed life between endearing absent-mindedness and sanity-shattering realization. Now, all things must converge.Donald will discover the dark secrets along the edges, unearthing savage truths about his wife Michelle, their adult twins, and all he knows and trusts."

SHORT STORY COLLECTION: The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All Laird Barron

SHORT STORY COLLECTION: Unseaming by Mike Allen

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
"Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, reporter Camille Preaker faces a troubling assignment: she must return to her tiny hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. For years, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed in her old bedroom in her family's Victorian mansion, Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Dogged by her own demons, she must unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past if she wants to get the story—and survive this homecoming."

Suffer the Children by Craig DiLouie
"A mysterious disease claims the world's children before bringing them back. To continue surviving, however, they need to ingest human blood. As the blood supply wanes, parents struggle and compete to keep their children alive. In the end, the only source left will be each other. For them, the ultimate question will be: How far would you go for someone you love?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

literally anything by Terry Brooks

The Shannara Trilogy
Not quite as epic as LOTR but pretty damn good.

Prequel - First King of Shannara

"After the terrible misuse of magic during the First War of the Races, the Druids at Paranor devoted themselves to the study of the old sciences. But dark forces were on the move from the Northlands, and it was left to Bremen and those few who supported him in his work with the arcane arts to stand against the enemy's seemingly-invincible Troll army. For at the heart of the evil tide was an archmage and former Druid named Brona..."

1 - The Sword of Shannara
2 - The Elfstones of Shannara
3 - The Wishsong of Shannara

Then continues on to The Heritage of Shannara (where I am currently), The Voyage of Jerle Shannara, High Druid of Shannara, Genesis of Shannara. Legends of Shannara, The Dark Legacy of Shannara... you get the idea. Each of these has at least 3 books in them.

The World and The Void is more relatable to the present, but I've only read the first one!

1 - Running with the Demon

"On the hottest Fourth of July weekend in decades, two men have come to Hopewell, Illinois, site of a lengthy, bitter steel strike. One is a demon, dark servant of the Void, who will use the anger and frustration of the community to attain a terrible secret goal. The other is John Ross, a Knight of the Word, a man who, while he sleeps, lives in the hell the world will become if he fails to change its course on waking. Ross has been given the ability to see the future. But does he have the power to change it?"

2 - A Knight of the Word
3 - Angel Fire East

And finally, if you're looking for something lighter to read: Magic Kingdom of Landover.
I personally have yet to read these ones, but the first book is staring at me rn and I've been told it's pretty hilarious!

1 - Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!

"Landover was a genuine magic kingdom, complete with fairy folk and wizardry, just as the advertisement had promised. But after he purchased it for a million dollars, Ben Holiday discovered that there were a few details the ad had failed to mention...

Such as the fact that the kingdom is falling into ruin. The barons refuse to recognize a king and taxes haven't been collected for years. The dragon, Strabo, is laying waste to the countryside, while the evil witch, Nightshade, is plotting to destroy no less than everything. And if that weren't enough for a prospective king to deal with, Ben soon learns that the Iron Mark, terrible lord of the demons, has challenged all pretenders to the throne of Landover to a duel to the death - a duel no mere mortal can hope to win.

But Ben Holiday has one human trait that even magic can't overcome. Ben Holiday is stubborn."

2 - The Black Unicorn
3 - Wizard at Large
4 - The Tangle Box
5 - Witches' Brew
6 - A Princess of Landover

-whipes brow- I think that'll do for now xP
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

One of my favorite books of all time is Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. If you've seen the movie, the story is almost entirely the same but that's exactly why the book is worth a read- somehow, the movie and book have the exact same tone and mood and weight to it and aghdjrhdk I've just never seen that happen with another book-turned-movie and it is awesome.

ANYWAY the book is about a US Marshall who is sent to an island, which houses a psychiatric facility for the criminally insane, with his partner. They are to investigate a seemingly impossible disappearance. Things go haywire from there.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh