Eyes Are Wide Like Cherry Pies

Red Rock 

Feb 1, 2018

She was perfectly happy to sit there until she watched the two perverts drive off. Then she got irritated. They'd attacked her and they were just driving away? Mateah's jaw dropped and she crossed her arms over her chest, deciding to stay completely silent. The officer had her ID up at the front anyway so he would know where to drop her.

Her will to be right won out over her decision to be silent.

"I'm not crazy."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh boy.

Hand on the back of his neck, Andy stood in front of the back door he'd opened for her so they could talk before they got on the road. He needed to know where he was going first.

"Slow down there."

Handle this, Andrew. Handle the brand new Were that had just been dumped into your lap.

"I'm not callin' you crazy. You already told me your name, remember?" Small smile; show you're joking. Annnd good. "We got a lot to talk about and I promise -- cross my heart, even, that I'll explain. I wanna get you home and safe though, alright? Sound good?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She looked up at him and clamped her lips together before nodding. Maybe she'd over-reacted, and the people in the other car had just like, picked her up on the side of the road. Her problem right now was that they had spouted some nonsense about becoming a Were...Lynx? Or Whatever? And she was supposed to take that as an explanation. Whatever.

"Okay."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Okay. Okay! Andy was enthused. Progress was so awesome.

"First, let's get on the road. What's your address?"

He should probably give her wallet and her phone back, too, butttttt. Those could wait. Right?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She told him her address and tucked her feet into the car, still holding the crumpled wrapper from the Sausage and Egg sandwich in her hand. "It's close to the Squealing Hog if you know where that is." She explained
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Yeah, for sure. Eaten there a few times. Watch your feet." But she already was, which made closing the door nice and easy. With a small puff of relief, Andy walked around to the driver's side and got in, turning the key in the ignition so the engine rumbled to life. That done, they could get going, pulling the cruiser back onto the road and heading in the direction they needed to go.

It was only after a few minutes of silence (punctuated by low radio chatter) that he spoke again. "So, couple of questions for you, Ms. Ward." He glanced up at the rearview mirror to look at her before putting his eyes back on the road. "Were you the victim of an attack recently? In the last month or so?"

"And if so, you mind tellin' me about it?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She was happy for the quiet if only because it wasn't all that quiet. She could hear the radio chatter clearly as though the speaker were right beside her, and the gravel crunching underneath the patrol cars wheels was enough to set her teeth on edge. When he spoke it was a welcome change from the ambient noise until he asked about an attack.

"No. I wasn't attacked." She said firmly and exasperatedly. "I thought I was, but then I woke up and nothing happened! They told me I had Brazilian jungle fever." And that had worked for her! She was sick. That's it. A new symptom was manifesting in the form of losing time and that sucked for her. Maybe it would be easier if she just jumped off a cliff or something.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She got exasperated. That was to be expected, he supposed, though he couldn't let her live in denial like she currently was. "Brazilian Jungle Fever," He muttered to himself, forgetting that she could probably hear him. What a crock of shit though. Not that doctors would have been able to tell her what was "wrong" with her (also not that anything was actually wrong with her), but...

Well, this wasn't going to happen if he didn't initiate it, was it? Nope.

"You thought you were attacked?" He asked, trying to prompt her into telling him more without asking outright.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mateah gave him a look in his rearview mirror. Why did he want to know this? Wasn't it abundantly clear that she was sick and needed to be treated for whatever sickness she had?

"I guess it didn't get really bad until we were on a tour and then like..." she trailed off, taking a breath to deal with her embarrassment over the whole thing. "I hallucinated this like... jungle cat jumping at me and then I blacked out." She put her face in her hand, covering her eyes so that she couldn't see him if he started to laugh. "But one, it was giant. It's impossible for it to be real, and two, I have no scars."

Little did she know, she did have a scar, but just... on the base of her spine where no one could see it. Including her.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He didn't laugh. He definitely didn't laugh. He knew that she probably felt a little bit crazy. He most certainly had when he'd been attacked but, fortunately enough, the person who had attacked him had been thoughtful enough to stick around and explain everything. He couldn't imagine not having that "luxury".

His fingers drummed on the steering wheel as he thought about how to tackle this, the car's engine audible in the quiet. There was likely no good way to break the news, but he knew he needed to. Letting Ms. Ward run around thinking that she had some... Brazilian Jungle Fever was... Not ideal. At all.

He sighed, deep and resigned.

"Ms. Ward..." He started tentatively. "I've been attacked too. Mid last year." She was going to call him a liar. "I know what you mean by impossibly large. A... A giant tiger came out of nowhere and honestly, I should have died and if I didn't go through what I do every month, I wouldn't believe it." Nervousness. He'd never really talked to anyone but tigers about it and like. Well. It was weird.

Also he still expected to be called a liar. Sooo.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She corrected him on her name internally. This was the second time he'd called her Ms Ward and somewhere sure, she knew that he was being polite but it was still just a little too much. She leaned forward to look at him through his rearview mirror and gave him a slight scowl.

"Are you making fun of me, Officer?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He fought not to roll his eyes, keeping them on the road ahead of him as he firmly answered "No."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"So you expect me to believe that alike those two people back there, you have some sort of furry...period?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He cracked a smile, glancing at his mirror when she made her comment. Furry period. That was good. The best he'd heard, actually.

But like, she wasn't wrong. "Yeah, basically." His tone was amused but still serious. It would probably make her feel like he was trying to pull her leg some more. "Y'all are jaguars. I'm a tiger."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Yeah, basically."

"Yeah, basically."

She stared at him and then went completely silent. She heard him. Jaguars. She was a Jaguar. A Jaguar.

Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar.

The word echoed in her head and she found herself wishing that she could live in denial for just a few minutes longer. It had been nice in her blissful ignorance and now what on earth was happening to her? She could now turn into a giant man-eating monster once a month and what was she supposed to do? How was she supposed to live her life? Certainly not the way she had before.

Her head spun.

"Pull over."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Pull over."

Oh. Oh oh oh. Please Mateah, don't make his car smell like vomit. That is literally the worst smell ever and he reaaaaally didn't want his car to smell like that! So, he definitely turned on his hazards and pulled the car off to the side of the road, turned off the engine and went around to open the door for her.

Puke away, Ms. Ward.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She felt like something was rising. Somethin that could possibly be bile, but maybe it wasn't. It felt like it had fur and it was angry, upset, irritated and scared. She choked on... whatever it was and once the door to the backseat was open, She turned and unloaded.... absolutely nothing.

She'd eaten not too long before, thanks to the officer, but she only dry heaved, choosing instead to stick her head between her knees as anxiety wracked her with full body shakes. She laced her fingers through her mess of curls at the base of her skull and became very aware of the fact that she was sweating again.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she grappled with something that didn't want to be inside and wanted to very much be on the outside. In an effort to get ahold of herself and ask for help she untangled her fingers from her hair and reached for the officer's arm to ask him to stay close to her without actually opening her mouth to ask the question.

He couldn't leave her, not now.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dry heaves. Yee.

He watched her, unsure and apprehensive about what he should do right now to help her. She was freaking out and honestly? He couldn't blame her. Andy remembered his own reactions in response to this particular bomb as being not particularly stellar. So what could he do but remain here for her? Especially once she grabbed at his arm.

With her hand firmly on his arm, Andrew laid a warm hand over it, comforting in his own awkward, mostly silent way.

Except not silent.

"You uh... You okay?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He didn't pull away and she was extremely grateful for that. He was her sole way of feeling comfort right now and he just couldn't leave her yet. HIs hand slid across hers gently and she raised her free hand to her forehead, leaning into it. So much movement today and she'd only just woken up.

"No." She wasn't quite hysterical anymore, but she did feel defeated. Everything she;d fought herself on believing for the past month was coming true. She was here and she was turned into one of those things on television and how was she supposed to tell her family, or work her job, or anything??

"I'm sorry." She apologized quietly, trying to get her wits about her. "That couple..." She said suddenly and raised her head, squeezing her eyes shut. "They must think I'm such a terrible person for thinking they kidnapped me."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He could have answered his own question, really, but he also hadn’t just wanted to like. Stand here. Awkwardly. With his hand over hers. Awkwardly. She answered the way he expected her to, leaving Andy at a loss for words. Even all the months he'd been a Were himself and the quick way he'd taken to being one, he'd never had to really explain it to a newbie.

"It's alright. No apologies needed." He was going to speak for those jaguars without knowing how they'd actually felt. Oops. "They understand. They were new at this too once upon a time, so I'm sure they remember how scary it is." His fingers drummed across the back of her hand and he smiled reassuringly. "But I have the dude's number if you ever want to let them know you don't really thinking they're kidnappers."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He still had her hand. Why did he still have her hand. She supposed that she didn't want to let go of his hand, but she should. She did but only after giving his hand a firm squeeze while nodding. "I would appreciate that."

"Will you take me home?" She asked as she looked up at him. "For real this time? I promise not to have you stop your car again, and I promise not to throw up."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

His smiled widened and he nodded, letting her hand go free while his dropped to his side. "Can do. It's the address on your license, right?" After he got her confirmation, Andy got her situated in the car again, gave her his and Abraham's numbers, and went about getting her safely home.

All in a day's work, right?

Thread end
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh