you and me and the devil makes three

Cordova 

It was club night! Tuesdays were not great for partying with a big crowd, but they were good for drink discounts. With her corrupt handful of friends, she was guaranteed to have a good time.

That was, until, her car decided it had other plans that did not involved making it to the club. Earth would cut off several cars as she dove off the freeway, the little Volkswagen sputtering and lurching inconsolably as the gauges on the dash flipped back and forth.

The parking gear fell into place with a grunt after the vehicle finally died on the shoulder of some side road. Always something, she thought bitterly, as she pushed a button to make her hazards blink. Guess it would be good to alert her party pals! Except her phone was mysteriously dead. When did it ever end.

Earth would sit there for a while as she tried to consider what to do, surrounded by silence except for the soft click, click of her hazards and the whoosh of passing traffic. The only option that sounded appealing was lighting the joint she had brought with her, so that's what she did. Yeah, girl, stimulate those brain cells.

@Hal
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Karim was having a terrible day. It had started off well enough, but... Well. Here's the rundown.

Before his shift, he'd made himself dinner. Simple thing. Noodles, stir fried veggies, and some meatless chik'n strips. Dinner of champions. Also prevented him from spending unnecessarily.

Unfortunately on autopilot, it wasn't until he was all done cooking and taking his first bite that he realized there was something... wrong with the chick'n.

The texture. The inherent dryness to it. The... dead animal taste.

He'd put his hand to his mouth and pulled the bag out of the freezer to find it was Tyson nonsense. How? How had he been so blind to this multiple times?

Karim didn't know what to do. Throwing it away was wasting the chickens that died to be in that bag. But keeping it and eating it was so off-putting and gross to him. What if it turned him into a nonvegan by the end of it?

Horror.

Maybe he could give it to a friend, but who would take frozen chicken strips?

Anyway that was the backdrop for why he was so tense when he happened to see a pulled over car with the hazards on by the side of the road. He wasn't Roadside Assistance, but he would be hard pressed to just leave her there.

Plus she was smoking.

Weed.

Which he did sometimes. But maybe she'd freak out anyway given he was in his official Police Car and was pulling over behind her. Ooooh, scary.

"Need help, ma'am?" Karim asked politely as he stepped out, wary of maybe setting her on the defensive.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By the time the good samaritan rolled up, E was pretty toasty. The headlights just sort of blended in with the homey glow of the rest of the city behind her - until a distinctly human-shaped shadow cut through the beams. The Brit blinked a few times as the information processed, burning joint elevated a few inches from her lips, and then, hello mister police officer.

Earth jumped visibly in her seat as air lodged itself in her throat, dropping the smoldering marijuana cigarette. Directly on her bare thigh. "Shit - shit. Uh." She flailed as she attempted to snatch the burning joint and... stare at it uncertainly for a moment with bloodshot eyes before she glanced up at the cop. Her heart pounded in her chest. "Just - no. Well, yeah - I, my car. Died. Not driving under the influence. I swear."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Lots of cursing, in British even. The smell of weed was hard to ignore, even for decidedly human senses, and he pondered coming at her hard or not. If he did the former it would mostly just be because of his chicken incident.

Be kind, Karim.

"Alright. License and registration, if you would?" he asked, pushing for a tone that said "this is just standard procedure, ma'am."

Hopefully she didn't have a gun. Or fangs.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The panic was kind of a buzzkill, not to mention that this guy was asking for her license and registration despite the fact that she wasn't driving and he had offered her help?? Attitude threatened to come out like hot lava. What the hell?

Earth caught herself instead. What was that saying? More flies with honey? She exhaled gently and awkwardly dropped the remainder of her still burning joint in the butt can in her cup holder. "Alright, just a sec." She leaned across the inside of the car to fish her insurance card out of her glove compartment, then pulled her driver's license out of her little clutch to hand them over to him simultaneously. He was pretty cute for a cop. That made being sweet a little easier.

"I really appreciate you stopping," she said as she held the requested items out the window. "Dead car and dead phone really make for a damsel in distress."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She was compliant, which really helped with the whole making sure this vehicle belonged to her and wasn't stolen bit. Also attractive people were more attractive when they were nice.

Anyway, he flashed a light on it to read and it all checked out. Smiling and handing it all back to her, he...

well.

"Alright, you wanna tell me how it died? Maybe I can help you jump it or something."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That he didn't say anything about her unusual name was nice. She might have snapped and ruined her nice girl-next-door facade otherwise. The girl spared a quick glance to the shiny nametag on his uniform - what looked at first to be a mashup of letters cleared up into "Abdulrashid" in a few seconds. She glanced back up to his smiling face as she took her belongings back, letting her mind relax some to take in anything interesting that might be running through his brain.

"It just began to sputter and sort of tremble," she explained, using her hands to gesture as if she were rattling an invisible box. "Then as soon as I put it in park over here it just. Died." She shrugged. "I think I've got little buzzy cables if ya need them!"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Eesh, bad luck on a party night," he sympathized. Mostly, he was still thinking about how he ate chicken earlier and how much that sucked. "No car charger either?"

Really, that was driver's ed 101. Always have a charger for your phone.

Nodding to her offer of jumper cables, he tapped on the hood, just to... really get an idea of the happenings there.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bad luck on a party night indeed! She huffed, blowing a piece of hair out of her face. How did he know she was going out to party? Had she accidentally sent him brain messages somewhere between his... sad chicken? A quick glance down reminded her that she was, in fact, in a skimpy outfit and appropriate makeup for clubbing. Oh. Right.

"No," she grumbled, feeling mostly like she was stating the obvious. Besides - what good would that do her with a dead car?

It didn't take a mind-reader to know he was trying to get under the hood, but it definitely helped. She reached under the steering wheel to pull the lever that would pop her hood, then stepped out of the car. Gravel crunched under her heels as she moved to rummage through her somewhat disheveled back seat, eventually producing the flimsy black and red cables and moving to stand beside him.

"I don't know a thing about cars," she said idly as she stared at the unidentifiable maze that laid beneath her car's hood.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, perhaps she could invest in one so in the future if this happened she'd have a fully or mostly charged phone. He'd avoid making that comment, not in the market for pissing off attractive stranded women that already were grumbling.

Lifting the cover of the hood thing, he gave a smile as she produced the cables. "Same here," Karim joked, taking said cables but not applying anything to anywhere just yet. He needed to bring his car closer.

"Alright, just gimme a second, gonna bring it around closer," he said, and cables still in hand, went to go start up his car so he could go do that.

Also don't worry Earth Hal also knows nothing about cars. :D
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Earth definitely would have grumbled more at him for any sassy remark he might have made about her lack of a car charger - just hearing his thought of it was enough to remind her to bite her tongue. Although his brain calling her attractive soothed that scorn and puffed up her ego. She had pretty much forgotten that maybe she should be grateful that she had gotten such a nice cop and wasn't on her way to jail.

Earth cast the man a bit of a sidelong glance at his joke, not feeling any better for it, but saying nothing as he held onto the cables. She lowered herself to lean against the little car with some degree of comfort, watching the police officer walk back to his cruiser. She drummed her fingers against the hollow fiber glass beneath her bum, mind rolling as she waited. A friendly police officer who found her attractive could probably be super useful.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There was no protest, so he... realized what an absolute pain in the ass this would be to pull up front and then turn his car around and somehow angle it over and all that—

"You know what, what if you just used my phone to contact roadside assistance?" he asked.

Did she have roadside assistance. Karim hoped so. He held his phone out to her and resumed poking aimlessly around the hood of her car.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This guy was really giving her ego some whiplash. She deflated some as the tiring realization that this was going to be too much work for him floated through his brain. She cast him an unamused glance as he held out his phone towards her - she definitely did not have roadside assistance, or the money it probably cost to have such a luxury. Still... she took his phone from him.

"I can try to start it again?" she offered with faux innocence as she tapped around his phone, pretending to find her insurance policy online. She was actually saving her number in his phone with a little Earth emoji as the contact name and texting herself from it. "Oh! I'm such a dolt. I haven't got roadside assistance." A chuckle as she closed out of his messages and hit the power button before turning it over. "Here. Let me have a go at the key again." If he didn't protest, she would move back to the driver's seat in an attempt to get the motor going - the lights came on when she turned the key. That meant the battery had juice, didn't it?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Oh, well," he managed to say. But there went that option. He took his phone back, completely unaware of her dastardly antics.

Instead as she went back to the driver's seat, Karim continued to poke around, phone in hand. Mostly, he was just... feeling around?

Which turned out to be not a great idea, not that he would have known any better. Or maybe he should've, given his sparky condition lately. Because as the lights came on, Karim had been absently touching one of the terminals, aaaand there was kind of, like, a hissing noise, as the plastic casing began to warp and swell. Glancing down and frowning, he removed his hand.

"Uh, hey. Might want to step out for a bit, the battery's not looking too good," he said, stepping back. Should he like... touch it?

No, probably not.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The car seemed to want to turn on - it groaned as the key turned, but did little more. The lights on her dash dimmed and flickered, and she frowned at them, glancing up to look at Officer Abdulrashid - except there was a good in her way. Genius.

She stepped out, heels clacking noisily as she trotted around to get a good look at the apparently sad battery. "Oh. Not good at all..." That would explain her car troubles. It looked fit to burst. She sighed, pushing her hair back from her made-up face and lowering her hand to the back of her neck. "Erm. Well. Could you call me a tow truck then?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Yeah," he frowned absently, not at her but at this whole... all of this. It blew. In the end it was good he was here to help her, just. Imagine what might have happened if he hadn't been.

But then an actual terrible thing happened! He was pulling his phone in front of him, and pressed the power button to turn the screen on, and. "Holy shit!" yelped, because as soon as the screen flickered on, the entire thing began to heat up and started to spark, and it was very, very visible.

The phone fell out of his hand with a clatter and he leapt back, but he could hardly pay attention to it because his hand also continued to spark, little bolts singing outward from his palm repeatedly.

"I don't— I dunno what's—"

Hi help.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

With little else of interest around, Earth watched the phone in his hands, and thus got to see the whole episode up close. She jumped a few inches and took a step back, eyes darting from the dropped device to his... short circuiting hand. Sparks flying. Like her brother.

"Whoa," she said after a moment of her jaw hanging slack. "Okay. You're gifted! Congrats! Please don't electrocute me." What the hell else did you say to someone who was apparently only just now discovering their super power?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"What?"

He asked, flabbergasted and also freaking the fuck out. A thin jagged bolt of light lashed with a vicious crackle towards the phone, and he flinched and stepped back as if it might hurt him.

"Whatdyou mean gifted?"

This was just a bunch of... static electricity? A lot? Maybe???
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Denial was the first step. Or something. She couldn't remember anything else about that statement, but it was no shock (ha) that he didn't seem to believe her words.

Earth looked about their surroundings warily, then looked at him again. "My oldest brother can control electricity. All of my siblings have special, erm, powers? Abilities? Like..." She trailed off. Showing him seemed to be a better approach than telling him. "Watch." With that one word, she pointed to a spot on the ground between them - her dark eyes muddied with a strange hue before all but glowing bright pink. The ground trembled slightly, before the asphalt burst with a spiderweb of cracks and gave way to a jagged column of whatever sediment laid beneath the roadways. Sorry, taxpayers.

"I can control rocks and plants. Some people can like. Walk through walls or control fire and stuff. Your thing is... lightning, apparently." Probably best not to tell him she could read his mind.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He gaped like a goldfish at her as she spoke, telling himself this much: she had to be insane. She was absolutely deathly insane.

Yes.

Right?

Yes.

Sure. Right up until she destroyed the fucking street right in front of him.

"What the f—" he managed, censoring himself more for shock than mindfulness of his language.

He glanced at her like she was some sort of alien. Except she was also calling him an alien?

"Am I an alien?" he echoed his own thought. And then yelped as a tiny bolt zapped at his own face, though it did little more than singe an eyebrow hair. But it was enough to get him going, "Make it stop make it stop!"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

His brain struggled to rationalize what was happening here, and Earth frowned some at his thoughts. Was it really more believable to be an alien? She scoffed, mouth opening to make a retort, but his sharp cry drowned out any words she might have made.

"Good god, man, chill out!" she commanded him, not quite yelling, but hardly a church mouse by any means. "The more freaky you act the less you'll be able to handle it... then you'll cook your eyebrows off completely." Heh, heh. Sorry, mate, that was funny.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not funny! Not! Funny! He struggled to control his breathing, his singed eyebrow twitching involuntarily, and his heart thrummed like a motorcycle engine in panic.

"Why is this— why is this happening to me?" he asked, holding his hand out in front of him like it was some kind of polluted diseased leprous thing.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh