I've Got Hurt Feelings

Yellow Pages 
[a picture of a naked, unconscious Mathis wrapped in a bedsheet behind a building]
Hey look at this !
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cris inhaled her spit with such force that she nearly yarfed from coughing.

Is he dead?!!
Cris in Cedar Creek, dog murder

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The reply took a nail-biting ten minutes or so to come.

No but mean
He scratched my phone
He was not nice !
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cris was dying for those ten minutes. After some residual coughing, she paced furiously, staring at her phone and thumbing at the screen to try to refresh it.

The answer wasn't... great. And didn't make sense.

throw him into traffic, no one should he rude to you

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Marybeth had never had a friend who casually said things like "throw him into traffic", and the answer detached from a tone of voice confused her even more than she already was, all flustered by the tragic injustice of helping someone who was mean. Back in the little park area near her apartment, she sat at a picnic table and fussed.

Hes too tall and heavy . He said he got shifted in the swamp and ran here but he was not nice at all .
I took that picture and then he woke up !
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why did he have your phone? Did you get his name?

Plans were forming. She saved the photo.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look at her getting the third degree over here! Marybeth bundled her legs up under her at the bench, frowning fiercely at the blue light-up screen of her phone.

No , he really didnt want to talk to me
And then some Guy came out of the building but he was fine with the naked guy , it was really strange !!!

A pause, and then she mercifully looked at the questions asked again.

He had turned Into a cat and needed help getting home so I let him use my Phone . He was all scarred up
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What a rude shitty fucking shifter. Cris paced with aggravation. Her replies were nearly instant.

could you send me the number he called?

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why ?
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I can look it up and see who it belongs to
if someone is rude to a vampire who is really nice, imagine how they treat humans

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cris seemed so sure of herself about that. Marybeth cared more about being called nice, though, by someone as tough as Cris!

But she did think about it. Catmen didn't have to eat on people, she was pretty sure, and that was where most of the problems came from. This catman may have been rude and mean to everyone, or in fact, he was actually the most rude to Marybeth, and not the fancy man with the robe and cigarettes! Also he had been having a really bad night, she thought, and sometimes people who were usually nice would do mean things if they were stressed enough.

All in all, she felt that it was unwise to give Cris free rein on this, like when she'd asked for vampire blood that one time.

Can you show me how ?
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That frustrated her. It wasn't what she wanted. There was something deeply exhausting about people who wouldn't solve a problem but wouldn't let her solve it either.

type it into Google

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok , i have to Get home first

She would have to write down the number by hand, and then see if she could get the primitive browser on her phone to work. Having used this delaying tactic, she still didn't understand what exactly Cris meant to do with a catperson's number.

Another ten minutes passed as she walked home, pondering the men in the alley and how Cris had translated her distress into what felt to her like some kind of vigilante-ism. She clomped up the outdoor steps and unlocked the door to her apartment, turning on a lamp and surveying her hoard of camping equipment. There would be a pencil and paper in there somewhere.

i Dont understand why to do this, Im sorry . can you explain ?
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

To figure out what shitty person is helping a shitty shifter who can't even be nice to someone doing him a favor

She groaned aloud.

you're probably not going to find anything anyway don't worry about it

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ok !

Conflict resolved!

[Image: tumblr_pfld0iSF7X1uvq9elo1_540.jpg]
look at This !
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Marybeth was fucking crazy.

But it was kind of... a relief.

is that a bug or an animal

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

a Four inch long burrowing armadillo !!!
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It looked a lot more like some kind of lobster.

Cris would not reply for several minutes, feeling the conversation would end there. But Marybeth sending the photo of that shifter had to have a purpose. Was it just another... hairy armadillo to her?

Why did you send the picture of the shifter?

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...Hmm. To tell the truth, she had taken the picture on impulse, the habit of finding something exciting and immediately sending it along to her city-friends something that had developed without her ever thinking much about it. It was a successful way to communicate, as far as she knew.

i Thought it was weird . then he woke Up and i was upset But its ok .

More frowning into the screen, trying to decode the intent.

is everything Ok ?
Marybearth

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why was it okay, other than maybe that Marybeth was a vampire with low self esteem.

She left it.

just wondering, its all fine
Cris

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Communication was so important. Texts were great because they gave you time to think about your answer, and make sure you said everything you wanted to say.

ok Cris , be safe and talk To you Soon ! !!
Marybearth

She had almost typed 'love you' instead of 'be safe', but she thought Cris would probably think that was weird. Marybeth, the persistence hunter of friendship, hadn't worn her down quite to that point yet.

She would, though!
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh