Lit

Echo Echo 
Saturday, Feb 23, 10 PM

Atlas really liked Echo Echo. The music was almost never bad, and even if it was, they played it loud enough that it sounded good. Especially when he was drunk. Tonight, the band was actually pretty solid, some electronica indie rock type get-up, or whatever genre it was called. There were so many these days that he just stuck to song names.

The only problem with getting shitfaced at a loud, crowded club for a blind guy was having to navigate between the bar and the bathroom. But, it was that, or potentially piss himself right there on his stool, and so up he went. Carefully, of course, but no amount of tiny steps would keep the world from rocking precariously around him. He avoided using his cane in circumstances like this, where there were enough people that he might inevitably trip someone, and instead kept his hands to the wall and sort of wobble-shuffled along. He had been here so many times that he knew exactly how to get to the loo, but that wouldn't keep him from colliding with someone anyway.

The cold splash of a drink, definitely alcoholic by the sharp smell of it as it soaked his shirt, made him yelp. "Ooooops, sorry," he slurred, hands raising to paw at the stain on his shirt, as if that would get rid of it. "You okey?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Some dude was walking right for her. She tried shouting at him to stop, but the music was too loud and before she knew it, her drink splashed onto his shirt. This wasn't supposed to happen. A big clunky wheelchair in a club, usually people watched out, or she just wheeled right into the back of their knees and then they moved. But in a hallway where she was obviously visible, it was frustrating and her temper flared up. She just wanted to listen to some goddamn music and get goddamn drunk off one drink because all her medications made her a cheap drunk. Okay, so she wasn't a role model. Don't do this at home, kids.

"What the fuck dude! Are you blind or something?" Birdie furrowed her eyebrows and leaned down to pick up her cup from off the ground, wheeling backwards to put more space between them.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There was no response on the person’s state of well-being, but her yelling at him made her unhappiness clear. He grinned stupidly at her question, sightless eyes appearing to look just over the woman’s head. Never heard that one before! Sarcasm, by the way.

"Uhhh. Yes," he ventured carefully, one hand leaning against the wall to assist him in staying upright. His bladder yelled at him. Slurring, he added, "Can be a little. Inconvenient. Heh. Sorry I spilled your drink."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Shit. He was blind. Birdie looked up at him and sure enough, he eyes seemed to no focus on anything.

She pursed her lips. "Then buy me a new one if you're so sorry then," the girl said rudely, loud enough to be heard over the blaring music.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well. This lady certainly knew what she wanted. Her demand was not unreasonable, but... damn if she didn’t sound like she needed that drink. "Okay, okay. I’m uh. Gotta pee first, then I’ll do that." He nodded his head once to confirm his intention, and then, moving carefully, would continue his awkward wall-hugging shuffle towards the restroom.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Birdie pursed her lips at him and wheeled out of his way, because well, the dude just started walking again. Blind people. Ugh.

"Fine, I'll be sitting at the closest part of the bar," she hollered, turning to look at said bar.

Shit it was tall. She couldn't even look over it. Sighing, she gave in and wheeled herself in the direction. Her eyes barely came up over the counter. A bartender looked curiously at her but with her angry eyes turning on, he scurried away.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas managed to do his business without falling into the toilet or bumping into anyone else in the establishment. He did have to keep his future task strongly in mind, however - buy that lady a drink. Buy that lady a drink. Buy that lady a drink.

She had said she was at.... the far part of the bar, right? That was a slightly more treacherous walk, honestly. And now that he had broken the seal, it was a walk he was going to have to take again in the next thirty minutes or so. But whatever. He had walked into the lady and spilled her drink, he could at least get her a new one. So, blind and drunk, Atlas would slowly and unknowingly begin make his way past the young woman towards the wrong end of the bar.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The girl leaned back in her seat and sighed. What was taking the dude so long? Did he get lost?

Oh shit. Maybe he did.

Her eyes widened and she began to look around her in search of the dude. Shit, what did he look like again? Birdie turned her chair towards the bathroom, but as she did, the dude unknowingly walked right behind her and past her.

Hm. No sign. Did he dip? she would've probably done the same thing but she couldn't help but feel disappointed. They could've been some weird disability duo though there as something satisfying about him not knowing what was wrong with her. She smirked and rolled back up to the counter, a figure catching her eye off in the distance. They landed on a wobbly figure, weaving in and out around people. Rolling her eyes, she scooted out and started rolling after him. A hand attempted to reach out to grab the hem of his shirt, "Trying to leave so soon?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For a man who had been blind all his life and had been drunk as many times as the next person, walking around without any great guide made him a little uneasy. It came with multiple slurred apologies to people he brushed or bumped in passing. Oops.

There was a hand on his shirt then, and the girl’s voice, and he jumped a little before slowly turning to face her. "Sorry, I didn’t realize I passed ya," he confessed with a crooked grin. "Whhhat would you like for drink?" For drink, yes. Good English man.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wow. WOWOWOW. He was drunk.

"Is it even a good idea for a blind man to be drinking?" she questioned, crossing her arms over her chest and looking up at him as she looked right over her head. "Like, especially drinking by yourself. What if you got robbed? How are you going to know who robbed you?" Birdie creased her eyebrows at him and his stupid grin.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas barked a laugh. "This is not my first rodeo," he assured the woman, words slurred despite his attempts to be careful in his speech. He had been lucky enough to never get robbed at this point in his life. "Cops line up a bunch of people in a room and make them talk so you can try'n identify the bad guy by their voice," he informed her. It was not really a great answer probably, but even seeing people could go their whole lives without finding the person who robbed them, right? Happy to deflect, even in his inebriated state, Atlas continued. "So are you gonna try 'n rob me or am I gonna just buy you a drink already."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Birdie crinkled her nose and huffed. Fine. That was all true. But like, seriously. She didn't know how he would find the culprit. What if they never talked? Or what if no one ever noticed someone stealing off of him? She shook her head. It wasn't any of her business, she was just curious and honestly, anyone who stole from a blind dude had to be quite the asshole.

"I haven't decided to mug you or not," she teased, "but get me a gin and tonic, will ya?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas chuckled at her remark, sure she was joking. Hopefully. Yeah. "Okay," he said with conviction, and would slowly, carefully feel his way to an empty spot at the bar, done with many apologies to whoever he might touch. The bartender, mercifully, remembered he could not see, and would be sure to communicate that she was around to take his order. She probably shouldn't have let him buy any more alcohol, but she did. Likely because he'd unknowingly and accidentally tipped her a twenty. Oops.

He turned back, assuming the woman was still lingering close by, happy to make small talk. "Sorry again bout the spill," he slurred cheerfully. Wet clothes sucked. "What's ya name?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hmph. She was impressed that he was willing to do what she said. She guessed it was mostly cause he was drunk, but whatever. She watched up go up to the bar and sure enough, the bartender made it audibly known that she was there to take his order. Impressive. Birdie scooted up to stay relatively close behind him.

He said something, but the loud music and him talking at an average person height made it hard for her to hear just what he was saying. "Um, I'm pretty short, can you talk downwards a bit? It's hard to hear in here," she hollered up at him, keeping an eye at the bar for her drink in case the blind dude didn't notice. Luckily, she had caught the last bit of his conversation, mostly by reading his lips. "I'm Birdie, what's yours?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh! Okay! Atlas bent at the waist slightly, an apologetic smile on his stupid drunk mouth. "Birdie! Cool name!" Along with bending down, he would sort of end up shouting at her. So helpful! "I'm Atlas! 'S a pleasure to meet you!" And then, he would stick out his hand, and underestimating just how short she was, would drive it right towards her face.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh god. Okay. So this was how it was going to go, huh? She scowled at him and attempted to smack his hand away. So much for keeping her disability from him. She wasn't too keen on being shouted at and being smacked in the face by some drunk blind dude. He was pushing his limits with her unbeknownst to him.

"Ugh, dude," she scoffed, "I'm not deaf. I'm just in a fucking wheelchair, ok?" Birdie rolled her eyes back into her head. This dude wouldn't be able to take the hint, so it was up to her to just freakin' tell him.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She rejected his handshake! By slapping it! Atlas stood up straight again, wearing his shock on his face, a little frozen as she spoke. Slowly, he thawed out, grinning again. "Sorry! I'm not exactttly on my A game here," he shouted again, this time from a little higher, so that he wasn't like. Yelling in her face. The bartender called out his order, and he turned a little too quickly, nearly losing his balance. Righting himself, he moved to carefully search for the drinks with his hands, grabbing them and turning back to deliver Birdie's replacement drink. "Uh." Gingerly, he sniffed at each one to determine which was which, before holding out the right drink for her to take. He was careful not to like, shove it into her face or anything, since he still wasn't exactly sure where it was.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She couldn't help but grin at him and his awkwardness. Eventually, her grin turned into a bit of laughter as she watched him try to figure out which drink was which. "Thanks," she chuckled, taking her drink securely in her hand. The girl waited to take a sip until he had his own securely in his grip. "Kay, let's cheers, dude." Birdie gently reached out and attempted to grab his wrist to lead him and his drink into hers so they could do a cheers.

"Thanks for the drink Atlas, it's a shitty gin and tonic but it'll do its job," she said, taking a gulp. Yup, pretty bad. Was this even tonic? Surely it was just sprite.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Uh-huh!" he would manage as a response to her thanks. Cheers? She grabbed his wrist and he would yield to the grip, leaning his weight towards the pulling and allowing her to clink their glasses together. "Cheers!" he called simply in response to her words, and would take a long drink from the glass in his hand. "So, Birdie. You c'n splash me if this is offensive. But like. Is it hard to steer your wheelchair when ya get drunk?" Because moving with functioning legs while intoxicated was hard enough. Maybe this would make him want to put his functioning foot in his mouth.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Taking one more sip for good measures before continuing their conversation, she cleared her throat, "Ya, dude," she laughed, recalling her drunken incidents in her dorm room, "Especially when I forget that I can't walk. It's new to me so you wouldn't believe how many times I've tried to just get up and walk out of my chair." Funny, but... depressing? She needed more alcohol. Birdie slugged back a large sip. The alcohol couldn't be doing it's job any slower. "You should really have a wingman come out drinking with you. It'd probably be safer."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas listened to her with some amusement. Funny but depressing was a good way to put it. His grin faltered some and he managed a little "I'm sorry," spoken softly, perhaps lost under the din of the club. He nodded loosely to her words. "Yeahhhh, you're probably right," he agreed with a slightly dramatic sigh. Maybe he could drag someone along from work. "Thanks for not mugging me." A chuckle, and a swig of his drink. "Can I ask... how you lost your leg mobility?" Maybe she didn't have legs at all anymore. Even drunk, he felt he might be walking a dangerous line with such personal questions.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Actually, I just made that all up. It's a good way to get free drinks from blind dudes," she said over the rim of her glass. "Now I gotta bolt, see ya 'round." She waited to see what his reaction would be and once satisfied, she would continue talking. Birdie wasn't going to go anywhere, not when she had company like this one.

"Kidding. I got in a car accident," which was a much more boring story, "Only got one leg left and it barely works." Birdie looked down at her leg and her stump while she gnawed at the inside of her cheek. "What about you? You always been a blind-y?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas's eyebrows slowly rose at her words. Oh? Um, bye? His mouth came open to speak, but she beat him to the point. She was kidding. He scoffed a laugh, shaking his head at her, listening to her actual explanation. His head changed to nodding then, in a manner meant to convey that he understood. Except he didn't really because he still had both of his legs.

"Damn. That sucks," he said, with all the conviction of an intoxicated person. "Yep! Born blind. Not missing anything." He grinned toothily. Sure vision was probably nice and beautiful and he'd like to have it, but it was nothing worth mourning, as far as he was concerned. Another sip of his drink. This should really probably be his last one. "Usually I have my cane but this place gets too crowded for that."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Uh, ya. It super sucked, boy. But it was whatever.

But for him, being blind was something he was used to. Or it wasn't even something he had to get used to, it was just the way it was. Hm. She didn't know how she felt about it. Birdie would much rather have started out in a wheelchair then suddenly having to be trapped in one like she was now.

"You should definitely bring your cane. Can you imagine how many drunkies would be tripping over it? It'd be hilarious. That or everyone would keep their distance and not bump into you," she smirked, taking a sip of her sprite and the little bit of gin. Hopefully, it was cheap for him. This bar must've been making bank since so many people were coming back to get more, not being properly drunk enough. "I'm waiting for someone to trip and eat shit after running into my chair."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jeez, this lady sure was a little sadistic! Atlas couldn’t help but laugh, though, so he wasn’t sure what that made him. He’d refrained from unfolding his cane in here for that very reason!

"Well, I almost did that for you," he said with a chuckle. "Seems like this place is pretty crowded, though, so it could still happen!"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She snorted. "Ya, lucky for me you just spilled a drink on me instead." It was a tease, and sometimes she wasn't sure when to hold her tongue in case something offensive came to mind. "Do you dance when you come to clubs like this? Or just hang at the bar?" Birdie laughed, shaking her drink in her hand to move the ice out of the way to finish her last sip. How did it manage to disappear so quickly?
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas revealed a toothy grin for her remark, able to find more humor in it now that he wasn’t so embarrassed. Her question made him kind of purse his lips in thought, swaying slightly in place. "Sssometimes. Not when I’ve had this much to drink though." That sounded like a recipe for disaster. "What about you?" Speaking of disasters! It only took a second for him to realize his slip up, and in a flustered waving of his hands (which would include a bit of drink sloshing), he tried to correct himself. "Sorry! Sorry. I forgot." Derp.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She scrunched her face up. Drunk blind dude forgot quickly. Birdie normally would've called him out on his in a rather bitchy tone, but instead, she sighed and gave a quiet laugh. This dude.

"I come to mostly just watch people and judge their poor dancing skills," she admitted, "I used to dance a lot though. I'm fine with just watching now. Too many people anyway." Er, was she though? Talk about denial. Her eyes moved towards the dance floor, watching some girl twerk up on her man. Birdie cringed and tried to erase the image from her head. "Blind dancing though. What if someone is booty bumping against you and you don't know who they are?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She was nice enough about his slip-up. Atlas downed his drink in mild shame anyway. He wasn’t sure he’d be as okay as she seemed to be about no longer dancing, but he took her word for it anyway, laughing at her question.

"Enjoy the booty, I guess!" he said with a grin. "If I kinda know them and they make noise I can identify them by sound, soooometimes smell if they’re particularly... odorous." What a weird word. He wasn’t sure it was a real one. Boy, he had to pee again.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Enjoy. The. Booty.

Fair enough. She chuckled at the thought of some old man booty bumping against him and Atlas getting all into it. But then he mentioned something about being able to smell people. Okay, what. "Smell people? You mean like an enhanced sense or something?" Birdie couldn't imagine being able to smell the people in the club. Her regular nose could smell just fine and it was already a no thank you from her.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas barked a laugh, made too loud by the alcohol humming in his body. "I guess it sounds funny. It might just be a fairytail - er, myth, rather - I'm not super sure, but apparently the brains of blind people like, understand orrr register smells and sounds better since there's no energy being used for the eyes," he explained sloppily. "Or maybe I'm just really good at associating smells to people. Which sounds creepy. I promise it's not." Another chuckle. It made his bladder squeeze angrily. He would ignore it a little longer.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Birdie just nodded at him suspiciously. Uh huh. "Sure, yeah, whatever. Not creepy at all," she said sarcastically, throwing back some of her leftover ice into her mouth. "Please don't associate sweat, alcohol and puke with me just because we're in a club, okay?" Like seriously. That wouldn't be cool at all.

This dude needed water too though. She smirked and gestured at the bartender, "Round of waters, please." The bartender smiled and nodded, quickly running to get their sobering drink.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Atlas scoffed for her retort, but smiled still all the same. "Don't worry, I haven't really gotten close enough to you for that, but I'll know your voice," he assured her with the same lopsided grin.

Waters! What a caretaker! "Trying to keep my hydrated, huh?" More grinning. "Gonna have to use the bathroom again first, okay. I'll be back. Don't let me walk past you again." Then, if she would let him, he would awkwardly fumble his way back in the general direction of the bathroom, hoping he found it sooner than later.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Birdie stretched the best she could to get the cups off the counter and slide them closer to the edge so she could easily grab hers. Taking a sip, she gave some words for his pee departure, that she would be there waiting. She wasn't really all that drunk, but the water was more than welcome as the temperature was starting to get to her.

"Don't get mugged, don't get murdered," they were words of encouragement clearly.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh