Whisker

Claws And Effect 

Really, this was not where Edvin intended to be today. He had started his day at the hardware store, purchasing the tools needed for cutting a hole in a door. Then, to the pet store, where he would purchase a cat door which locked, two cat trees, a window hammock, floating cat shelves, a secondary litter box, a laser toy, two cat tunnels, three scratching posts, and a ridiculous amount of cat toys ranging from feather balls to catnip birds. His intentions with these items was to fill a room that he had been currently using as a display room for his collection of taxidermy butterflies, and a few other odds and ends that he had gathered throughout his history. Now, it was to be refurbished into a sun room for Catherine.

There were two large windows in the room, which he noticed would let in a significant amount of light if he pulled down the blackout curtains. Since his time being granted a few hours in the sun, Edvin had taken to sitting on the back porch during the late after noon with Catherine, whom frolicked and hunted in the sunshine. It became apparent to him that it was entirely unfair to keep her from sunlight during the hours he still slept. And so, he intended to create a room just for her. It was on the opposite side of the house from the bedrooms, which eliminated the worry that the opening and closing of the cat door would be a danger to himself or Lazarus. The blinds would come down, and Catherine would be treated to access to the sunlight at all hours of the day, if she fancied it.

What he did not account for was the temptation to stop here. At a pet shelter. Really, the decision had been made on a whim, with no sure intentions aside from taking a look inside. It would turn out to be a very poor decision. For now he was standing before the glass, peering into the pods that housed the cats. A frown etched into his lips as he looked upon a particular cat, his hands folded behind him as he watched the cat roll a small ball between his paws. With his hearing, he could pick up the sound of the feline's purrs from behind the glass. He did not need another cat. But he did find it hard to step away. Catherine did seem like she could use a companion...
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She shouldn’t have come here. Really. She knew she kept herself far too busy to take care of any animal, but there was a sense of loneliness living in a new city and having little not no friends. Amberlie didn’t hang out with her work friends, from the strip joint not from her dance classes at the gym.

There was a fine line there. She didn’t care what anyone thought, but she certainly didn’t want their open judgements. Which was why both her her jobs were in different locations. No need for nosy conversations with people or men and women who might have seen her at the club and ducked out of the way at the grocery store.

So yeah, this might be a good choice. Companionship and no need to answer to others about her actions. She smiled as she walked down the isle, looking into each seemingly too-small cat house. She didn’t know if she wanted a smaller dog or a cat. She hadn’t gotten that far.

Soon, she came upon an older gentleman looking at an adult male cat playing with a toy. "Oh he’s cute..." she said, shooting a smile up toward the man, hooking one of her stray curls behind her ear. "Thinking about getting him?" He did seem like a cat person.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It was when someone spoke up that Edvin pulled his attention from the feline. A raise of his brow as he looked to the side, then down at the small woman beside him. She was averagely pretty, but not unlike many of the young girls he saw roving Lavender Heights. A soft smile found his lips as he chuckled and looked back toward the cat. "I did not have plans to. I already have a female at home. But I have been feeling like she might be lonely during the day when I'm at work." A swift lie, one the girl would not know better than to believe.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh. He seemed really proper. How exciting. A faint smile played at her lips as she reached up, her fingers grazing over the glass, the cat watching them before going back to his toy. Cute little guy. Though he could stand to loose a pound or two in the middle. A night job? Really? She wondered what a seemingly proper man like him did at night. It definitely wasn't stripping. Though... more power to him if he did. It definitely wasn't at her nasty little place. "Yeah. I bet she does want some company. I know I would. I hear they have a deal where cats older than two are 'free' with a small donation of as little as one dollar." He should definitely get one. Then his little female cat had a little boyfriend.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It was not incredibly had to sell him on the idea. His brows raised some at the mention of the promotion, idly wondering why the place felt the need for it. Perhaps they were only finding homes for kittens lately. And whilst kittens were very enjoyable, they were more maintenance than Edvin was willing to commit to. Older cats were already trained to use their boxes, and knew what not to use as a scratching post. Hopefully, anyway.

"I believe you may have convinced me." He said with a small chuckle as he turned his eyes to the information card on the glass. Grayson, M, 3yrs, 14 Lbs. A curious name, but he did think it went quite well with Catherine. "Are you looking to adopt as well?" He asked with a look to the girl.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Amberlie smiled, wondering if she had anything to do with him being “convinced.” "Good! That poor guy needs a home. If I could, I’d adopt them all." She admitted as she took a step back from the window. Was she looking for a cat? Not really. She didn’t do well with cats even though they were smart and independent enough to take care of themselves. She knew this from experience, having had one growing up.

It was her mother’s cat. It roamed their estate like it had been king of the castle. And it was. It had it’s own little chair at the dinner table and her mother didn’t care that it brought in rodent after rodent. He even brought in a half dead bird once. But her mother had the help trained to pick up after him. Although they never did. Catch him before he laid that half eaten mouse on her pillow when she was just waking up. She visibly shivered at the thought.

"I’m actually looked for a dog. I had a cat once but it kept peeing on the carpet and then it brought in mice," She shook her head. "I was just on my way there, actually." Amberlie still hadn’t decided what she wanted in a pet. Small, medium or large? Couch potato or energizer bunny? Nope. Step one was deciding she wanted company and step two was coming here.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well, he was not so certain about adopting them all. There had to be a limit. For him, it was likely just the two. The girl, however, went on to say she was more interested in a dog. Edvin had never quite been a dog person. They always proved to be too excitable and eager to please. An admirable trait to some extent, but he found it overbearing at times. Cats were nice in the fact that they did enjoy companionship, but only if you have come to an understanding with them.

"Where do they keep the dogs?" He questioned, though he did hear the barking of one nearby. Another thing; they were quite noisy. Catherine did like to talk, but it was never so intrusive.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh what a nice man. She smiled up at him, clutching the strap of her bag as it crossed her chest and pointed behind her. "Just that way, to the right and through the doors," she said. She had wanted to check out the other animals up for adoption before she looked at the dogs. Amberlie thought perhaps something else would catch her eye. Like a rabbit, a cat or one of the many rodents they had.

But nothing did. "I was actually going to go take a look at them if you wanted to come while your paper work was being processed...." she asked, having not minded the company. I mean, it wasn’t like anyone else was there to help her pick out the perfect dog. And by the looks of it, he didn’t seem like he was going lie to her face about whichever one she decided to pick.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

As he guessed. The invitation was met with a pleasant smile. "Of course." He said.

It would be a few minutes for the process to be done with. Thankfully, he had filled out a form prior for Catherine, and they had most of his information on file. All that was needed was for them to change the identification of the person whom would be picking the cat up, as it had been Beauregard last time. Whilst the employees did that, Edvin would join Amberlie. The dogs smelled rather bad, though not as terrible as any canine shifter. Some bounced and yapped at the window, some lay in their beds to sleep, and some chewed on toys between their paws. Edvin strolled beside the girl with his hands behind his back. "What sort of dog are you wanting? You seem like a small dog type."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That was easier that expected. Amberlie had actually been expecting something along the lines of a “No thank you. I’d rather drink poison” than a “of course.” Whatever. She actually appreciated the company being alone so much. Most of the company she kept wasn’t... up to her standards. No matter how “low” she brought herself, she still remembered her upbringing. She had been bred for greatness. Not to be a stripper. She sure showed them, didn’t she?

She offered him a small smile, "Sweet!" She turned on her heel, heading toward the dogs, holding the door open for him and the full sound of parking, panting, and jumping dogs was no in full force. She had been slightly intimidated by the room. There were dogs in every kennel, some had more than one, the papers describing the pair as “inseparable.” It was intimidating because she wanted to rescue every single one of them.

She paused, at the first kennel. Looking down at an hold sheep dog looking thing who was sound asleep on his pillow. He didn’t have a care in the world. "Um. To be honest, I have no idea. I figured I would know it when I saw it. At least I hoped that was the case." She chewed on her lip in thought. "Definitely not lazy. I’m a pretty active person. You’re right. I’d probably want a medium to small dog that I can possibly take places if I need to bring him or her along..." She walked past the sheep dog to the next kennel.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Choosing the right type of pet was for one's lifestyle was important. He was glad to have freedom to spend time with the cats during the sunlight hours, which he had shamefully neglected to consider when first adopting Catherine. This, of course, was what justified creating the sun room. Edvin found he quite enjoyed the snoozing dog, whom seemed content where he was. The girl, however, moved on quickly. The next kennel house a small white terrier type, whom jumped with its front paws on the glass and barked in a pitch that had his ears ringing. The frown was evident on his lips, there. "Are you home enough to train a young dog? What sort of home do you have?" All important factors. The last thing she wanted was a puppy home alone in an apartment.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Amberlie stopped at the cage. Of course people loved puppies, but this one was absolutely adorable. She looked at the card attached to the kennel. "Kato" it said. Hmmm. She didn't quite like that. She bent down, letting the puppy nibble on her fingers before looking up at the gentleman. "I have two jobs, but neither one is considered full time. Just an hour away here and there. Otherwise I'm home alone all the time." She said before talking in that soft, playful tone most reserved for babies or animals. "What do you think?" she said, looking up at the man.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh