Boop the Snoot

Recollectibles 

Time to say it: Isla was really, unnaturally, unfairly, attractive. Not in like a I'm gonna try and hit on her way - weird - but in a help I'm intimidated sort of way. It was also a good thing Isla wasn't a telepath, because hello. Thankfully by the end of the drive to Magic Hollow Katya's brain stopped being annoying and acknowledging all of the above.

Which brought her to her official ratings of their little get together so far.

Driving: questionable. Personal mood: really... amazing? Vibing: they were chill, she thought. She had some jerky sticks in front of the centre console which Isla would've been welcome to.

It was just under an hour before she was pulling into the parking lot. Nope to reverse parking. Nope to parallel. Nope to giant mum jeeps - Katya rolled her sedan into a spot where there were no cars on either side. In one go. And... crookedly. Which she didn't fix. Instead.

"Dude. Wait." She extended an arm in front of Isla's midriff without touching her, looking out the driver's window. "I think I've been here." With. With. Stacey.

Who was Stacey.

S... H...H...

HOLLIS. Hollis! Oh my god, Hollis.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually, truly, really, seriously - this wasn't that bad at all. Once she'd gotten into the car and buckled her seatbelt and gotten over that initial fear of touching literally anything. Once she'd established that Katya could drive just fine and managed to purge the image of her as a wolf trying to battering ram a stranger's car open, yeah, this was pretty nice.

Still she stared at the jerky for a long while, refused to move for it as she tried to decide if she was hungry or if Everett was hungry somewhere or - what the hell. In the end, she took it with a mumbled thank you, looked out the passenger window while she ate and pursed the wrapper to avoid making a mess.

It wasn't long after that they parked (questionable, but she wouldn't call the other woman out on it). Freezing as her life depended on it when Katya told her to wait, glancing up to the front of the shop and then back to Katya with the slightest lift of one dark brow. "Is that ... okay? I mean - did you like it?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Dude, yes, are you kidding." Katya turned to Isla with a sort of horrified expression when she realised she'd stretched out her arm in front of her unknowingly. And Isla looked frozen in place. Sorry. She pulled it back.

"It has like everything." Everything meaning a whole lot of random junk you'd never think even existed.

Katya turned the ignition off, yanking her handbag onto her lap. "Come on come on comeon." She popped open the driver's door and bounced out into the cold.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Excitement was nice, it was contagious enough that she grinned as she bumped the passenger side door shut with her hip. Taking her time to adjust the strap of her purse before she stepped up and onto the curb. "Weird question before we get into it -" She went to grab the door for Katya, held it for her before rounding out the back.

"If you see any velvet paintings let me know, especially of cats."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

BEEP BEEP. She locked her car when Isla was out. Even though beep beep wasn’t the sound it made - close enough, okay.

Katya hopped up onto the curb with her, walking into the store and just like, delighted that the door was held open. So she returned the favour after she entered for Senior Wolf.

”Done deal.” Katya grinned. ”Are you all about collecting them??”

It smelt like how a thrift store usually smelt, but substantially worse now that she had a Were nose. Katya liked the smell though, so. Back off haters.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I got a wall of them back home, Everett is indifferent but - the cost of companionship." Shrugging it off as she rubbed her hands on the thighs of her pants and sighed heavily as she looked around and tilted her head back, pointed to a far corner and the massive moose head hung there. "You got a fireplace mantle, maybe?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

”Who’s Everett?” was the obvious blurt because Katya had been gone and wasn’t familiar, oops. She smirked at the next question. ”Apparently studio apartments don’t usually come with them,” she said by way of answering, gliding into a sort-of-aisle.

But like, speaking of animals.

Katya stopped at an oval-like, cuttlefish looking thing. She glanced it over, trying to see if the label would reveal what it was. Nope. But low key it was totally a freaking shark jaw, just chilling real casually. Katya lifted it and turned to Isla, sticking her face in the middle.

”Boo!”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Oh, he's uh -" She motioned about, like he was the air around them or some sort of all seeing presence. Really, she just meant she couldn't speak in plain terms in present surroundings. "My ... boyfriend-plus." Sure? She hoped someone had explained all that to Katya, assumed Alina or Trick or - hopefully.

She turned to look at her again when she boo'd her, hand still on a stack of old hardcover books whose spines were faded to the point of being impossible to read. "Almost as terrifying as the real thing." She turned back around, flipped to a random page in an old cookbook and made a face when the spine protested the movement. "Oh yum Katya, look, an aspic recipe."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

'Boyfriend-plus' just meant 'boyfriend-plus' in her brain as opposed to mate. Honestly Isla had given her gay vibes.

The response to her scare was a little underwhelming, but Katya thought it was funny enough to not be offended. And smirked even as Isla turned around, pulling her head out of the jaw and looking it over. She ran fingers over the sharp teeth.

Did Weresharks and whales and dolphins exist?

Maybe in like the Caribbean.

Still holding the jaw, she poked out from behind Isla to look at the page. "What's aspic?" Just. Shameless.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That, funny enough, was enough to make her jolt - the sudden appearance of Katya over her shoulder. Turning to grin at her before she looked back to the cookbook in front of her. Quick and easy, finding the page again and tapping the over saturated photo on top of the recipe. "It's meat jello, doesn't that look swell? Next group gathering, huh?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It made her happy when she surprised people. Katya grinned back sweetly, but didn't stop hovering, sorry.

The quality of photo was about what you'd expect from a thrift store book. But, taking it seriously. "If you're prepared to see your work of art devoured in less than a second, yes." Giggle.

For no particular reason, she flew the shark jaw over to Isla's forearm. "Raaaaaah."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Just this really vivid visual of you scooping aspic into your face with your cupped ha-oh god my arm!" A mock and twisted expression of agony as she grabbed onto her upper arm and squeezed. "That's my syringe arm too, say goodbye to your Nyquil." Hopefully, she'd never need it again - still. She looked down to the jaws and nodded at them, "How much is that thing anyway?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Isla, vivid visuals also made her really happy. Was Katya just like, a reincarnated, younger version of a living Isla??

What was the meaning of life?

Katya giggled evilly as Isla fake freaked at the arm attack. Until it was time to answer obediently. ”Uhhh $110,” she said with a glance to the bright yellow label stuck to it, not sure if that was a lot or a little for this type of product.

With one final smirk, Katya would put the shark jaw back, before naturally going for Isla’s hand to hold. ”Wanna check the clothes out?? I mean. We both know that’s what we came for.”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

A hundred and ten freaking dollars! That was a number of hours of popping the caps off of beers and slicing lime wedges as if your life depended on it. She watched her set it down and wondered if she was cheap or that actually was pricey or ???

Except gone was the thought of any posted jaw or it's professionally secured teeth when she realized they were holding hands. It wasn't that it was a bad thing it was just that she hadn't been expecting it and now she wasn't sure exactly what to do with it. Swing? Squeeze? DO NOT THREAD FINGERS, THAT'S WEIRDLY INTIMATE. She settled on keeping the same lax hold and started towards the back of the store where rows of racks were equally spaced out.

"Maybe we can find you something with really bitchin' shoulder pads."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Katya was, of course, oblivious to Isla’s inner turmoil, and for the most part didn’t even realise she’d reached for her hand. She’d give a few fun swings (or try to), as the timber wolf attempted to... literally... give an incredibly unnatural bear hug to her Packmate??

”I used to work at an art gallery. Low key that probably would’ve been perfect for then.”

Don’t worry Isla, she’d pull her hand back to her side as she wandered into a dress aisle. And kept talking to Isla, regardless of if she was in the same aisle or not.

”What do you do for work anyways??”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She hung back one aisle short of where Katya decided to investigate - a small section of plaid button up's enough of a siren song that she didn't even hesitate the separation as she called over to her. "Well, since I can't use my degree ..." She glanced over, frowned before she went back to pushing one hanger along the bar and then the next.

"I actually bartend at the brewery a lot, but I'm on call if anyone gets a boo-boo or whatever." A neverending call, for that matter - phone only really on silent for major gatherings and the occasional trip to the movies.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bartender. They would've been sort-of-coworkers if she'd accepted Alina's offer to work there waitressing.

"So are you like really smart?? What did you study," Katya asked, pulling out a cute, collared, pastel blue dress from the rack before her gaze suddenly darted over to Isla. Minor squint. "Wait. Alina pays you for boo boos?"

Not that like, she shouldn't. Katya just hadn't known that was a possible source of income.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I mean, I think everyone's smart in some way or another -" She shrugged her shoulders and flipped the collar of a turtleneck so she could look inside, made a face at the discolored ring at the neck - pass. "But, I definitely don't think I'm not smart." A fine line between fun or silly and just ... lacking in intelligence. She looked up, stood on the tips of her toes to look over the rack and gave a thumbs up to the dress that Katya had in hand.

"Vetrenairy medicine and surgery, actually. So, basically, I put myself into debt forever and ever amen." A small gripe about an overall wonderful life. "But yeah, Alina pays me if one of them gets really jacked up. And then I mean - sometimes I go out and help the others if someone really needs it, I've had a couple ... feline patients, before." There was something there about patient confidentiality so she didn't say anything further.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The thumbs up meant she flung the dress over her arm, deciding it'd go onto the Try On Pile.

Katya listened intently, hand going over some fabrics on the other dresses and investigating. "Do you think you've got to have a degree to help with boo boos?" She wouldn't stop there. "I've just been like, trying to get more involved. Think I might pick up like two shifts at the Gym. I dunno."

It had absolutely everything to do with Cris' death pushing her to want to seek companionship with her own kin.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The fact that they were sticking to the term boo-boo really made this that much more chill and comfortable to discuss. She'd helped set a Were's broken jaw, but yeah, boo-boo's. "I think that's a case-by-case thing?" She grabbed a faded old band t-shirt, looked over the dates and places listed on the back before she put it back on the rack,

"I think there's a lot that you could help with if you wanted to. But I mean - there's some stuff I think would be better suited for someone with experience or background knowledge or whatever." She grabbed another sweater, this one annoying teal and oversized and definitely in her own try-on pile.

"If you want, I'd be happy to take you on a ride along or whatever, if I get a really cool call."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The answer made sense in her brain. It was kind of just, logic.

She raised her gaze as a teal sweater stole her attention. Big and baggy and bright. If they weren't going into summer, she might have even been salty about her picking it up first.

"That'd be cool. Are you like, the only person in the gang who has um. A gang job??" Katya glanced around with a degree of concern, making sure nobody was looking and thinking they were like, mafia.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Uh, well ..." Her voice rose a little, shook some as she came round the corner to the same aisle Katya was in and started to skim through the dresses. She skipped over anything knit or lace, anything scratchy or that felt like she'd go up in flames if she walked a little too close to a candle.

"Technically, yes. I mean - everyone helps out, I think?" She looked over to Katya and then went back to her retail rooting. "I don't think there's one of us that wouldn't defend the rest, but I do ... officially." Not wanting to make it into a big deal.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Katya pulled out another pretty dress, this time quickly realising it was meant for someone with actual cleavage before hooking it back on the rack.

Maybe at some point, she'd had this side of official job things explained to her and she continued to have brain damage. Or maybe she hadn't had it explained. Either way. "Oh my god, like. Wait. What does that even mean."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This felt like an Alina thing, or a Trick thing, or maybe even a Dante thing if he could stop scowling long enough to get through it. What it didn't feel like was an Isla thing, so she shrugged and grabbed a sundress with a whole dappling of daisies on it before looking back up. "So the way most ... gangs, function is that there's a leader. Of course, everyone has different experiences and expertise but-" She sighed.

" There are medics - I mean ... people who're on call and ready when shit hit's the fan. There's the welcoming committee, you know the good guys who help people get used to the lifestyle changes and stuff. And then there are people who are ... I guess like bouncers? Punch the problem, be the first line of defense."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wait what. There was a welcoming committee.

Katya went behind Isla to end up on her other side, looking at skirts now. There were shorts too, but shorts were, eeeeeh WEDGIE. But maybe she could give them another shot this year. Maybe.

"So you're like a bouncer and a medic?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She had just found a fairly nice leopard print skirt, not too dated and just about at her knees so she could wear it to wor- "Wait, what?" She looked up at once, nearly dropped her things. "Oh my God, no." Laughing and wondering where exactly she'd stumbled over her words, half distracted by clothing buys.

She thought about that vampire at the river so long ago, the one who'd led to a new and sudden appreciation for Dante. "I mean I have - done stuff like that, but mostly I just take care of the aftermath."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Katya was the most used to misunderstanding things. So. Oops. "Oh, pfft. I suck. I thought that's what you meant by defend." DUMB Katya.

Isla, leopard print isn't in, thought Katya at the same time but didn't say. Because HELLO, not here to judge. Even though she kinda wanted to - they definitely weren't close enough for that yet. And like, honestly, maybe Isla could rock it. She definitely had swag Katya didn't have.

Did she really just think with the word swag.

"I've been meaning to ask someone, where's Jane at?? Did she dip or something," she said as she picked out a cute black mini skirt, not yet daring to touch the shorts.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She looked over as Katya went for something else - a skirt from the looks of it, simple but nice in the way one could appreciate any staple piece. It would look good with fun tights - god, she needed to get some of those. Arms full of mismatched patterns and pieces, she frowned at the mention of Jane and shook her head. "Course I talked to her, but we weren't really close." And while she would stand her ground and insist they were a dependable and unshakeable bunch, there was no arguing there was a revolving door, some leaving with or without proper goodbyes.

"I'm glad you back, Katya - just ... by the way."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So was that an ‘I don’t know’??? Just like, a really nice, deflective, ‘I don’t know’???

Katya wasn’t upset with Jane. Really she had no right to be - she’d left without a word too. But she was sort of concerned.

Her hand hovered over a pair of shorts, taken aback by Isla’s sudden kindness. Katya’s eyes widened, momentarily doubling in size. ”I’ll make sure I’ll tell someone when I have a brb moment in the future. But, like. Hopefully it won’t happen again.”

Warm and fuzzy inside, she squirmed a little with her shoulders.

”NOW I’M FUZZY.” Agghgggh she did a little run up and down the aisle, free hand covering her face.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She froze when Katya seemed to tense, watched her and waited for her to say something - it was true, they weren't close. Maybe it was out of line for her to say anything at all, maybe she'd made the other wolf uncomfor- oh. She laughed, looked down at the carpet to mask it and sighed as she looked back up and used a polka dot monstrosity of a button up to wave Katya towards the fitting rooms to the far left.

"I'd love to have you along for some patch-up's, but you really should consider mentoring ... I think you have the personality for it." As in, she was a sweet one - a rare thing in a world that had a whole lot of sizing up and scowling in it.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She laughed with Isla. It was the first genuine laugh she'd had in a while, and she realised that because it'd started to feel foreign.

Katya understood the instruction to head for the change rooms as what it was, altogether having three things in tow. Black mini skirt. Sky blue dress. And she grabbed the shorts she'd been eyeing.

"Maybe when I get a little less nooby I'll talk to Alina about it." A pause. She pouted thoughtfully as she looked towards Isla. "If you think so."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She followed after with her handful of seasonally mismatched and clashing haul. And even Alina had been nothing but kind, she pursed her lips before nodding with a degree of finality. "Don't let me guide you, talk to her about what interests you - experiment. One way or the other, I'll vouch for you." Not that that necessarily was a make or break promise, but it had to mean something.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:OOOO to everything that was happening right now.

"You're cool, Isla." True words. Why had they, like, never hung out like this before??

There wasn't a soul to be seen at the change rooms. Which was sort of better because she'd be able to squeak comments at Isla from her cabin. "Dibs this one," Katya decided, propelling into the furthest change room.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Katya took the far changing room (it was a closet with a mirror, basically), and for that Isla let out a gasp of mock hurt. She settled on the one next door over, set her things down on the bench in a messy pile before she turned the lock and got down to it. "Cut throat instincts - I wonder if you can make the boo-boo's, advise about the boo-boo's, and patch them up all at once." Seemed like a lot of hassle but she couldn't in good faith call Katya unmotivated.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Heehehehehe.

Hehehhehehe turned to crycry when she locked the door, realising there weren't any hooks to put her clothes on. But there was like, a bench, which was great, so she set them down there.

"What do you mean??" Katya asked for clarification, not exactly following.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I mean," She stopped to pull the sweater over her head, made a face in the mirror as if she was about to heave when she realized at once that it was extremely itchy. "If you can hold down multiple jobs at once, what's to say you can't adapt to multiple roles?" She yanked it off, promised to straighten the sleeves when she was done as she tossed it to the side. "Like, if I wanted to ... I don't think I'd be the worst lifestyle advisor in the world." Mentoring sounded fulfilling, at least.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OH. Got it.

”So why don’t you go for it then?? Like. Officially,” Katya asked as she undressed.

Ohmygod winter clothes were her favourite but why were they the worst to take off.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She shrugged to herself, pulled on a different shirt and took her time to make sure that the buttons were aligned. "Maybe, I think it could be worthwhile to at least try." A little more inclined to do what she could, pull what weight she could bear as she rooted herself further and further into the pack. "How's it going over there, any luck?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"We could be the welcoming committee together. And medics. And then in the end you'll never get rid of me." Evil giggle.

Katya as an official medic was sort of laughable. But, like. HEY. >:| Maybe she could pass Isla things. To help Isla do things.

She wouldn't answer her packmate's question, and instead left her change room, knocking on Isla's door out of nowhere. "I dunno, what do you think?? Do I look like a fetus." She kept her hands on either side of the dress.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Sounds like a solid plan to me." Grinning to herself as she finished with the shirt and unlocked her door, peered out and considered the dress before she shook her head. "Nope, not a fetus - I like it, fun for the springtime."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hrrrmrmrmr not sure. Katya pouted in thought, hurrying back into her cabin. From the other side, she spoke. "Tell me about Everett anyway. How did you meet, how old is he - what are the deets."

Wait she suddenly remembered Jane telling her last year that Alina was engaged.

Wait.

Had she missed a wolf wedding while she was away??
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They got to boy talk just as she had shut the door to her fitting room for a second time. Almost immediately, she wishes she could shove her head in the door and maybe just try to close it once or twice. Less a problem with Katya or the topic, more a concern about how to proceed.

"He actually works in the back at the brewery." Something simple to start. "We've know each other for years though - you two should chat sometime, I think you'd get along." It seemed like Katya could get along with almost anyone, really, but that was beside the point.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh