Time and Space

North Glenn 
Oh. True. It wasn't really a two person game. Also. Oh well.

"Yes." Spoken with immense certainty. "Can we make dessert at the same time though. Or make dessert and then play. I want sugar and also it's literally illegal to pause between dinner and dessert."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If nothing else they would be carried on by her sheer enthusiasm.

"Well, you know me. Can't do anything illegal." So he would stand, and take his freshly filled glass with him. May as well drink and prep dessert. "Come on, it won't take much to finish dessert off. You ever heard of banana lumpia? All we have to do is fry the up." Which meant the first thing he'd need to do was put the oil on to heat up.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry her untrained ears heard banana lump until her brain processed the sound more. Definitely had said banana lumpsomeothersoundhere.

"Nope, but I'm excited," she told him, hovering near the stove. "Is it kind of like banana churros??" He was preparing oil so she thought of churros?? And she was definitely standing there like he was going to allow her to fry their dessert.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Pot there already has oil in it, if you want to turn it on medium-high," he requested as he went to he fridge, then tendered an explanation for her. "Less a churro, more like a... banana eggroll?" he supposed. She would see in a moment, as he had a couple dozen of them--most of these would also go home with Katya if she liked them--already wrapped up and ready to meet hot oil.

He came back with them stacked neatly on a plate, pale and cold for now, soon to be transformed to hot and crispy.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Turning on someone else's stove always felt like rocket science the first time around. But she got it down, twisting it to medium-high. "Yuuum. And what's in them exactly??"

LUMPS OF BANANA.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Scooting the cooling pot of adobo chicken out of the way on the stove--he'd need to put that in the fridge soon, actually--he sat the plate down and chuckled a little--a persistent noise tonight. "Inside is brown sugar, jackfruit and... can you guess the last ingredient?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jackfruit was like, tropical as, right?? She’d never had it. Not like, knowingly.

After gawking dumbly for a moment and thinking it was a trick question, Katya loosened up again and answered, ”banananananaaaah. How do you say it? Banana lumpeee... ??”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She needed to work on her pronunciation of banana, too, honestly.

"Banana lumpia." Slightly drawn out for her benefit. Loom-pee-uh.

"Where I come from we basically use banana as a main food source. Kind of like potatoes in the states. This is probably my favorite way, though." Easily one of the sweeter applications, especially now that he was sprinkling a bit of damp brown sugar over the waiting cold lumpia.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That was cute. Could she be a lumpia? It sounded like a blanket burrito, which kind of made sense when looking at what she was about to fry.

Also, literally drooling as Dakila sprinkled sugar over them, and not even inwardly. But like, staring at dessert with an open mouth.

”So are you fluent in Filipino?”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He dropped a tiny bit of sugar into the oil to see how hot it was--getting there!

"I am," he told her with a smile. "We usually call it Tagalog. I'm fluent in Spanish as well. Conversationally, at least. Don't ask me to write an essay in it." The joys of growing up in an already bilingual household in a country with a third language as an official language.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fluent in Spanish as well. Dude, no fair. Katya felt like she wasn’t even fluent in English most days.

”That’s cool. Like. Genuinely. I’ve always wanted to understand what people are saying when I overhear them talking smack about me in another language.” No like, seriously. ”Do you practice with your mom??”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"I do! We speak Tagalog almost exclusively together ever since she moved back to the Philippines." Holding his hand over the oil, he was pretty sure it was hot enough, so he picked up the first one and slid it into the oil. Some people pan fried these in less oil, but his mom swore by the deep method, so here they were. "You want to put a few in?" he offered, not wanting her to just be an observer if she'd like to get in there.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She would take that as an instruction and obediently plop a few into the oil. One... two... three... should she put more or??

"I've noticed Jane's not around anymore." More of a thought spoken aloud than a question or anything. "I hope she's ok and comes back," Katya added, crossing one foot over the other as she stood.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh