Detective Rikachu

Yellow Pages 
@Beauregard "Beau" "William" "Henry??" Bertrand

It was late in the day! Sunset time! He had no excuse not to answer her like immediately.

Hello! I'd like to speak to Mr. Henry Bertrand, please!
Rika

Bold of Rika to jump right into it and assume, but she also viciously playfully hoped he got all surprised about it.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Beauregard had a very small notebook that he'd kept (in various forms) for decades.

The contents were simple: the name of a person he knew, and the name they knew him by.

And so, when he received this text message, he frowned and moved to find that notebook to double check he hadn't forgotten some important detail.

Is he in some sort of trouble?
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Honestly what did that mean. Was there a separate Henry that he knew??? Did he in fact have relatives?? Aaaah???

Only if I can't talk to him directly! Please put me through, Mr. William!
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How were the two of you introduced?
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:(
Some girl said she met him for an interview.
She was fancy. Wore makeup and a cute dress.
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Upsetting eye makeup?
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Upsetting... was... a harsh word, it felt. The girl had been nice. Maybe it was a little bit much, though.

Hmm.

Also!

Maybe excessive is a nicer word
So you're Henry?
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Professionally! You are likely aware I have two jobs now.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You never invited me to the planetarium :(
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You can't buy dresses as a planetarium, Rika.
I suppose one or two are available, but they're tacky at best.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:(
She was so sad she got rejected by you that she blew up some wire crate or something at the shelter
And she made me go invisible
And after all that you won't even invite me to your planetarium :'(
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Good lord. What a disaster of a young woman that other psychic apparently was. She could have harmed Rika.

I'm even more thankful now that I didn't hire someone prone to blowing up animal shelters. If you'd like a tour of the planetarium, I'm happy to take you next weekend.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well that invite was both flattering and... oops. She kind of was doing the opposite thing she had intended to do.

She said she's really new to it
Rika

Sort of...

Maybe if she practices a lot and gains control of herself she can be reconsidered?
Alsoooo yes please, I've never been to one!
Rika

This was a lie, actually, but Rika was maybe hoping he'd take it as an opportunity to impress her before he inevitably sank his teeth in.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Not charming.

She will not be reconsidered. There are thousands of places she can work where the person hiring her will not know she has some dangerous ability.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ouch. She was sorry to get the woman's hopes up, and he was standing pretty firm, and she guessed that was sort of Rika's fault for spilling the whole exploding thing.

So what kind of abilities would you allow on someone you hire?
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This was growing tiresome.

Why do you ask?
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why couldn't he just answer the question.

Trying to see if I would be disqualified
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Your abilities would not disqualify you from employment at Mountain Planetarium.
Bo

Other things would, but that was a bridge to cross when they reached it.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That was nice. She perked at the idea.

What about someone who can do negation also
orrrr talk to ghosts
Rika

Or. Both.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Then they are welcome to apply on our website so long as they refrain from raising the dead on the premises.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You are the nicest vampire and I forgive you for not telling me about your secret planetarium
I'm looking forward to exploring it with you outside of opening hours :)
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Beauregard, sufficiently exhausted by the exchange, would leave it at that.

He'd need to... do something about his desk before Rika visited. With his luck, she'd find all variety of vivid memory on it to get him into trouble.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He didn't answer her attempt to blood-flirt after an hour and she got pouty about it when too much time passed and she was whiny about it, Beauhenrilliam.

Unless you don't want to?
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He felt a pang of irritation as his phone buzzed again, even with the passed time. Beauregard took an ideally soothing breath, counting in his head for the in, and for the out.

This was the problem with young women. They stared at their phones incessantly for reassurance.

I do believe I offered to take you next weekend, unless you would prefer this one.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You just didn't really seem excited about it :(
Rika

Also that was only after she harassed him about it. :'(
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Enthusiasm is something I am still learning to master over text message! You must understand the great effort it is for me to adopt this style of communication!
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Incoming call
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bonsoir! Vous avez atteint le répondeur téléphonique de Monsieur Henry Bertrand. S'il vous plaît laissez un message après la tonalité.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He answered and oh my god. Literally assaulted her with French. Rika giggled despite her neediness, and she could speak other languages too, jerk.

En ymmärrä, mitä juuri sanoitte, mutta on mukavaa kuulla.
Rika

The R's were rolled, the words held a cheery sort of musicality to it.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm afraid Mr. Bertrand is not interested in purchasing an additional warranty on his car at this time. Have a lovely evening!
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Beauuuuuuuu!
Rika

Now she was just whining.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How may I assist you, Rika.
Bo

She would perhaps hear the sound of keys and the shutting, then locking of the door to his apartment.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You're being very mean for someone who likes me in person.
Rika

POUTY.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How precisely am I being mean?
Bo

Rather than potentially sharing an elevator with his phone call and a stranger, he would elect for the stairs, taking them at a leisurely pace as he felt for, still, whatever rogue was prodding about the Heights.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah Rika, how was he being mean. She faltered and then pouted as she reached for... probably not stuff that was proof.

Youuuu didn't answer me about going after hours. Or seem interested at all. Maybe you got another long term dinner partner?
Rika

Pouty more than actually accusing, Rika was clearly off balance thanks to missing a weekend of attention.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quite the opposite, I am going hungry this evening in reluctant favor of chasing some unfamiliar vampire out of my territory.

His footsteps echoed on the stairs as he went.

You can imagine this leaves me a tad slow to answer text messages.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Territory. She huffed a little bit, kind of into it in probably the same way she was into the idea of making a profit off making people sick and healing them.

You sound like a mafia boss. Is that what it's like? How do you know if uh... an unfamiliar vampire is in your territory?
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's something of a nebulous feeling. An irritant, and a nagging one. If I try to ignore it, I'll pace the house all evening. More often than not, it ends up a harmless encounter. But I struggle to find peace until it's dealt with.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh...

He said nebulous, like nebula. That was kinda funny.

Oh! Can I... ask a favor about that then, actually?
Rika

Her voice fell, and she got up and went into the backyard forrrr privacy reasons.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Curious.

Ask away.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The door opened, then closed. Rika took a deep breath, feeling... some kind of power that he was entertaining her.

Um... so. My friend, the one I told you about...? With the vampire that was feeding on her every day? He's actually really... really bad. He made her like... capture some other girl for him and I saw — I saw him feeding on her and she wasn't... it wasn't willing or anything, it was really gross. I think he threatened her into it or something, but she can't tell me much about it. But. I know his name is Spencer.

An exhale.

If you run into him, could you... I dunno. Something. Not... be his friend or something. Chase him out I guess.

It felt overstepping to ask for more than that, but Rika really hoped for something much worse. And preemptively, she thought to offer what she could.

I could come over more often if you'd like? For you doing that. It would mean a lot.
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mm. That got messy quite quickly. Perhaps he'd given Rika a very romantic picture of what it meant to be a vampire. Using one psychic to lure another was certainly an interesting idea. It did not appeal to him, but it didn't inherently upset his sensibilities, either.

The name didn't ring a bell, but that hardly meant anything. Any male vampire in the clutch could be the mysterious "Spencer" under a different alias. Certainly Beauregard was all sorts of people.

His primary concern was that, apparently, Spencer's pet psychic hadn't been trained to keep her mouth shut. Was there anything stopping her from, say, burning his house down?

A secondary concern, of course, was that this was ending up in Beauregard's lap at all. Inconvenient at best. He noted her offer but knew better than to take it. Still, she was wise to recognize that this was a favor, and that she owed him for it.

No need to come over more often, for all that I appreciate the offer. It is best for both of us that I don't end up drinking you dry.

In retrospect, that was a tad crude. The new moon and a rogue was on his mind.

I will do my best to keep an eye out. Unfortunately, as you've learned, vampires often have many aliases. If I find a Spencer, I will take care of him. But I may need more information to be truly effective.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Oh, that was true. And now... and now. Rika was determined to find out more. From Niamh or her sweater or... anything, anything she could.

Still, he was promising her, or as much as he could promise. Rika gave an audibly grateful exhale.

Thank you so much. If I can find anything el — wait. Wait, there's something else I do know about him — she told me he could go invisible.
Rika

A thing Rika remembered because she'd initially found it funny that she shared a power with him, and Niamh had shared one with Beauregard.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The only invisibility-prone vampire he knew was Marybeth, and the idea of such a... unique individual politely keeping a psychic captive was nearly comical enough to make him laugh in the stairwell.

That is useful information. Hopefully your friend can keep away from him in the meantime? Change her address, perhaps, if needed.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She's living with me, yeah, I kind of stole her after I found out about him. It's honestly been really nice having her here. I'm sure she's... looking for her own new place, but I'm not in any rush for her to leave.
Rika

Actually, Rika would probably be really sad if and when that day ever came.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That was instantly a problem. One hand hovered before the door at the bottom of the stairs, and he felt a twang of tension beyond what the intrusive rogue was already causing.

I-

Beauregard scrunched his face a bit, biting back the urge to very swiftly put an end to this living arrangement.

The tension in his voice was not something he could hide entirely.

I admit this makes me a tad uncomfortable, Rika. How certain are you this girl won't lead him to where you're living? He- if he ever shows up, he cannot enter your home without invitation. And if you ever find him there, telling him to leave will expel him from the home immediately.
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Uncomfortable... Rika blinked, wanting to argue first, and then knowing by the next sentence she'd initially had the same fear, but. How could she explain that she'd felt the guilt Niamh had? The shame in her memories, the worry of the repercussions?

Anyway, she wouldn't get to explain that, or insist on Niamh's inherent goodness, because he was telling her something else. Something... very, very interesting. And something she immediately wanted to tell her friend, and yet.

Whoa.
Rika

Whoa, because suddenly, she remembered Ian. Flying out of her home when she told him to get out. And how angry he'd looked after, and then how much better he'd behaved after.

That was that?

Is that... would I be able to tell her that? In case I'm... out with you or something and he shows up somehow. She— she doesn't want anything to do with him.
Rika

Well. At least that's how it seemed. That was what Rika wanted to believe.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It was a good sign that she asked for permission, but it was largely missed amid his own irritation.

How much had been suggested of this girl? Would she lead Rika to another "Spencer" regardless of her interest in doing so?

Beauregard felt all variety of agitated as he pushed through the parking lot toward his car, expression a fixed scowl.

That's fine. But she should refrain from sharing it too widely.

There was some sourness in his tone he didn't intend, but Beauregard could not be perfectly composed all of the time.

What is her name again?
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For all the cheeriness in his tone had faded, Rika felt decidedly protected. And even better, she could extend that protection to Niamh.

Niamh. Thank you so much, I... I dunno how to like... I don't know what I can do to thank you for this.

A huff, a laugh, and honestly she got a little bit teary with gratitude. But what could she offer other than more of her blood, and he'd already turned that offer down.

But if there's anything, just tell me.
Rika

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She was such a damn woman. Beauregard opened the door to his car and breathed an audible sigh.

All I ask is that you be safe, smart, and wary. It would be very... upsetting if any harm came to you as a result of your kindness
Bo

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh