Ursa Cave Time

Ursa Caves 
 She had packed, after much Googling, only the bare necessities for a trip out into the great beyond: a flannel (in case it got chilly), an emergency first aid kit, a couple of bottles of frozen water, enough food for a day, ... that was it. Still, her backpack was stuffed and on the ride up to the caves, she'd had to sort of wedge the pack under her legs. The ride up had been surprisingly pleasant, appreciative as he more or less respected the speed limits, played music she could appreciate (and a couple of songs she would swear she knew)!

If he'd been doing his whole Care Bear routine, she was a little nervous - but mostly, above all else, super excited really to be out in the middle of nowhere for a little while. Not to mention the chance to show off, which, tempting! When they had parked, she got out before trying to tug her bag free, leaning forward as she slung it over her shoulders, stuffed enough that it curved into her back.

"Asking for a friend, you know what to do if you see a bear - right?" She'd Googled that too, for the record.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Outfit, hair up.

Sunny, for his part, had come incredibly prepared. Some might say overly prepared, if they were not as particular of a person as he was. But he had stocked his bag with a change of socks, another first aid kit, bear spray, rope, a spade, toilet paper because there were no toilets in the wilderness, a blanket to sit on, and most importantly the supplies for s'mores. Which, he kept in an insulated cold bag along with water that he had attached to his backpack.

The drive went well, without indecent, and he did key in to both her nerves and her excitement. Both were things he naturally shared, but it was a unique experience for them to align so closely and vividly with someone else's. It was almost like they were heightened, but it wasn't like her being nervous made him more nervous... it was just a hard thing to put a word to. More... significant. That was a better word, he guessed.

Red stayed in the back, excited in her own way about the travel. She did not get to go far without him. They had managed a mile apart before she was forced to come back to his vicinity. So, he supposed, even the first ability had a range. It was a bit more close quarters with the second, and he wondered if it would ever extend to the length of the first. He was willing to bet against it, and ultimately hated the sound of it. Being able to feel someones emotions from a mile away sounded down right creepy.

When they arrived, Sunny grabbed his own bag to secure onto his back and strap across his chest, unashamed in how it looked. He looked to Piper as she struggled with hers, but a crooked smile slid across his teeth at her question before he could ask if she needed help. "Yeah, run up and give them a bear hug, right?" He countered with an inquisitive quirk of his brow. But, it didn't last long before he chuckled and nodded his head, holding a hand up as if to pause there as he moved back to his car door. "Actually, you reminded me." He said as he opened the door, and from the side pocket retrieved the knife he kept, still sheathed. He stepped back, then closed the door. "Hopefully we don't need this, but. I have bear spray, too." A shrug as he looked down to find somewhere on his belt to strap the sheath to. His hand, for this excursion, was covered in a waterproof bandaid that he was likely going to get irritated with and remove at some point.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She wouldn't comment on the state of his hand's wrapping or if his choice in shoes was sensible (from what she could tell, they were). But she wanted to all the same - inherently a worrier although she tried to hide that from him for as long as she could. It was just caring - she liked being cared about, who didn't like being cared about? Exactly.

"Don't try to shiv the bear, Sunny." Seemingly appalled, stunned for a second as she looked from the knife and back to his face. "The internet said don't run - but hold out your jacket like this." She extended both sides like wings. "You know, to make yourself look bigger or whatever."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The reaction to the knife made him chuckle some, halfway amused and half way nervous at the thought of actually having to use it on something. What Piper didn't and would not know is that it was intended for more than just a bear, if needed. Silver plated and long enough to do more than a scratch. And while the advice to stand his ground and make himself look bigger was helpful, he silently acknowledged that something with a sentient brain would know just how fragile he was no matter how much bigger he made himself look. "I think its to make you look like a chicken." Sunny chuckled, and once he was sure the knife was secure, he moved to mimic her with his jacket. But, he went a step further and flapped them as he moved toward her, "Historically, bears are terrified of chickens." He told her with full confidence and a sure smile.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She choked on her laughter as she watched him, eagerly flapping the sides of her jacket in turn and hopping from one foot to the other on top of it. "That's one thing bears and I have in common." Deadpan as she dropped her hands back to her sides and moved to try to jab him in the side below his ribs. "Okay, I think we've covered basic bear defense, we can all breathe a little easier."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wait, what? His brows arched at that. She was afraid of chickens? They were kind of weird, but- He didn't expect the jab, and he gasped some as he pulled away. "I can't breathe if you stab me in the ribs." He countered. Red from the front of the car scoffed at the stupid remark, but went back to minding her own business and looking about the trees that surrounded the lot they'd parked in. "Just hope we can remember it in a time of panic. But, only one way to find out," He said, then nodded his head forward. Onward, two chickens venturing into the wilderness.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She kept a leisurely pace alongside him as they started out, adjusted the left strap of her backpack when she realized it had gotten twisted. Making sure not to fall behind, she glanced back at the car, told herself wordlessly that she would keep a mental map. You know, just in case.

"Besides bears though, ... do you hear that?" She lifted a hand as if to urge for silence save for the occasional crunch of leaf or twig under their shoes. "Quiet." Surprising even herself with how nice that was, actually.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It was really nice, the further they pushed down the trodden path. Debris underfoot, wind in the leaves above. Red ventured ahead of them, taking her opportunity to explore at the end of her tether to him. He was thankful she left them alone. Not that... not that they needed the privacy. But. Whatever. Piper spoke up, and he glanced to her from where he was eyeing a large nest overhead. "Mm?" He said, slowing some as he tensed a bit, immediately on guard to listen for... nothing. Just the quiet. A soft huff through his nose and he nodded. "It's honestly my favorite sound." Just nothing but wind, leaves, birds in the treetops. Sunny filled his lungs as full as they could go, then released the breath in a heavy sigh. "This trail's about half a mile, by the way. It'll take us to a campsite by a natural spring. Then the cave portal is only a five minute walk from there."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Sounds good to me, I hope you're up for the marathon ahead ... the gauntlet ..." A little silly in her excitement to be out and doing something, shedding the winter hibernation. She took a wide stride, turned it into a lunge and let out a little puff - done with the joke after three strides of the same.

"By the way, how's the ghost thing?" An issue she was nervous about approaching through text. "I mean, I know you weren't sure if it would be different or - still the same, right?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If there was a marathon involved, he was pretty sure she was going to win. He was far from a string bean, but he had nothing in the way of endurance. Strong, but a strong guy that sat in bed and read a lot of books. He watched her lunge, did everything in his power to keep his eyes north, and chuckled when she finished out after three. At the question, he blinked, confused for a moment as he looked ahead to Red. But she clarified, and he looked back to her, "Oh, everything's all good." He assured her. "I just sort of get strained if I mess with the emotions thing for too long." It was a weird thing to describe, honestly. He could make some comparison to electricity or breakers, but it wouldn't do it justice.

"She's up ahead. She likes when I go out, she gets to explore." Was it weird to let her know? It still felt strange talking about Red to anyone but Leona. But they'd already shared so much with one another, there was no reason to hold back. At least, not as much as he normally would.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She looked up ahead of them, watched the ground as if she might be able to see the rustling of leaves with the steps of his friendly ghost. No such luck, in case anyone was curious. "I'm glad, I was worried about you - you guys, I guess?" They were a package deal after all, even though her knowledge of his ghost friend was all secondhand.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Piper was just incredibly kind. “Thanks,” He said with a small nod. “I know it’s sort of... I guess, weird. But thanks for not making me feel like it.” He had grown up feeling weird, so it was refreshing.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She turned around once she assessed the stretch of the trail ahead of them, cautious of every step as she walked backward so that she could watch him. "Hey, there are a billion gabillion people in the world. Some of them drink blood, some collect weird little dolls, and other ones turn into giant rats and - yeah you're weird." She shrugged her shoulders and motioned to herself. "Join the club, alright?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Some drank blood, some collected dolls, and some turned into giant monsters and weren't people at all. The memory of that video flashed in the back of his eyes, and he frowned some at the imagery. He was glad he had the knife, as ridiculous as it was. He watched her carefully as she walked backward, eyed the path ahead but fixated on her at the oh so formal invitation to joint he club. "I'm a life member." He said, then glanced behind her once more, and slackened his face into a look of concern as he shot his hands out to grasp the tops of her shoulders. A sharp jerk forward, but not rough, "Watchout!" He gasped. When she looked behind her, she'd find the path was blocked by... nothing.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She probably could of went on for some time, content to circle in on that discussion and cover more ground, maybe just talk about weird people in general. Like, standard weird - human weird. Except his face looked different and she gasped as he grabbed her, instinctively reached out to grab his arms as she twisted round sharp and half tucked herself behind him.

It was ... nothing.

Eyes wide (and in a flash, closer to citrine than blue), she looked about and held onto the bend of his arm. It took a beat before she let go, swatted him in the side with the back of her hand. "Don't do that!" A little shrill, mostly a whine.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sunny’s grip on her tightened some when she tucked into him, instinctively squaring himself to make sure she didn’t flail to hard and throw herself off balance. A grin spread across his face as he laughed mischievously, and noted with the proximity that Piper was incredibly warm. Warmer than a normal person, at least. Not that he spent much time with other people wrapped up in his arms like this. But, it was nice.

The let her pull away, and flinched some at the smack against his side, a hand coming to clutch there. ”Jeez, you go for the gut.” He laughed, taking a step back to look at her. “You gotta be vigilant, Piper.” And then he cleared his throat and bugged out one eye while squinting the other as he delivered the next line in his best Mad Eye Moody impression, “Constant vigilance!”
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"That's bear defense one-oh-two, Sunny, you always go for the gut." She pressed her fingers together, moved as if to karate chop him in the side but intentionally stopped short. And even if it was a joke, she shuffled along, fell in beside him as opposed to going ahead. Laughing as she relaxed a bit more, stubbornly tucking her hair behind her ears.

"I hope you trip over a twig." The ill will missing all the same. "Mad Eye sucked by the way - authentic or not."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Chicken dance and gut punch, got it. He hoped they encountered a bear now. Even though she stopped short, he moved an arm to block her chop, but she moved away without any further attempts. He found it a little more comfortable to walk in time with her, not so focused on keeping a certain distance. This, unknowingly, brought him into that magic range in which he could pick up on the nuances of her emotions. He was greeted with relaxation, and it helped to settle him further.

He gasped for two reasons. The twig, and her judgement on Mad Eye. “How are you so wrong about every character!” He asked exasperatedly. “What, I bet you probably think Snape was a good guy all along, too.” Snape was always evil. Always. Ha.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"No, Snape was a turd nibbler - if the same thing had happened to Neville he'd still be out doing bad guy crud." Dismissing the idea with a scoff as she looked him over. "What house would you be? Gryffindor?" A shot in the dark - definitely not a Slytherin, at least not from what she could tell. "Before you get sassy, I'm a Hufflepuff and I will go wait in the car - warning you now."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Good, she was at least somewhat redeemable. At the guess of his house, he scoffed at the idea of being a Gryffindor. Was he that cocky? Her disclaimer wasn’t needed, because he valued Hufflepuffs for what they were. “Pottermore says Ravenclaw. Don’t know if you could tell I’m a giant nerd.” And smart, if he was going to toot his own horn. Book smart, at least.

”Hufflepuff would be my second choice.” He added. Hufflepuffs were good.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Ravenclaw would have been my second guess." Not that that meant so much when there were only four choices, but - you know. She looked at him from the corner of her eye, smirked to herself as she turned her face forward once more. "You are a big nerd, you're right." Aiming for serious and nonchalant.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

”Then what made you think Gryffindor?” He countered with screwed up in a skeptical glance her way.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She shrugged her shoulders, dismissed the look on his face - like it was anywhere near the worst house to be in. "I mean, you seem pretty brave to me - and you've been nothing but nice ..." Polite on the bus, friendly and politely concerned through the rest. "I don't know - I think it's a good thing to be. Besides, then you'd get Nick for a house ghost and that adds like, two points to your cool."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He guessed he was brave. Brave, or stupid? He’d confronted the doctor, yelled at the cat in the woods. Maybe the terms were interchangeable. Sunny barked out a laugh at the mention of Nick. “I’ve actually seen a ghost like him.” He said, likely scarily upbeat about the topic of seeing a nearly decaptiated ghost.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"No you didn't!" It was accusatory, firm - like he was pointing over her shoulder and trying to see her flail again. "No!" A little more unsure this time as she looked him over and chewed on her lip. "What were they like? ... Could they talk to you?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It was apparently hard to believe. This was where the line between someone than understood and someone that practiced understanding was drawn. Leona understood, Piper practiced understanding. Until she lived it, the line would be there to be jumped across.

”It was in a graveyard back in Arizona. And no, no noise.” He lied. There had been a noise, but it wasn’t going to be one he repeated to Piper. Gasping, retching, gurgling. Nothing she needed to know about. Nothing a ten year old should have seen.

”It’s more disturbing than in Harry Potter." He admitted.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Hey," She hesitated, frowned as she reached out and bumped her hand against his. "Like I told you, brave." Firmer this time, resisting the urge to feel some sense of sympathy. "Maybe you're a Raven-dor. But if it makes you feel better, Raven-dork."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sunny looked to her hand as it brushed against his, noted the shift in her sincerity. Brave. He'd take her word for it. A small smile found his lips, and he looked ahead to spot Red. She was standing a few hundred yards away, making sure she wasn't straying too far. They'd never tested the limits of their link beyond this distance, afraid of what would happen if she strayed too far. Could he find her again? Would the tie be severed? They didn't want to risk it.

Sunny snorted out a laugh. "I'll update my Pottermore account. Raven-dork." Fitting.

They didn't have far to go, and after another few minutes, they came to a split in the trail. They took the left, and as they went the sound of roaring water met them. Another few, and they were spit out into a clearing. Directly looking out, they were greeted with a rock face populated by rich greenery, through which water tumbled past from natural spouts in the rocks. It emptied down into a natural spring, which was below them as they were lead onto a more level piece of land that was used for camping. "Damn," Sunny said, taking in a deep breath and letting it out through a smile.

here's a reference, imagine they are positioned where the camera is but theres more space at the top for activities.

Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She wondered if he'd pick up on it, the ramping sense of excitement as they closed in on the main event. She assumed so, played it cool at face value as they went through the motions of the bends in the trail. Tossing her backpack down, she inched closer to the edge but minded herself, whistling as she looked about before wiggling her brows when she turned to look at him.

"This is like, really pretty ..." Good news, because it was prettier than any of the caves that the hikers got murdered in during any horror movie she'd ever watched.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sunny dropped his pack, too, and rolled his shoulders to relieve himself of the ache. Red moved similarly to Piper, gliding out to look over the pool below. He eyed her for a moment, then to Piper as she turned around to face him. A smile grew as he moved to mime flicking his hair over his shoulders, ”Well, I try to stay humble.” It was just too easy.

But, really. Sunny moved to join Piper and Red, looked down at the pool then to the falls. Gorgeous. Gorge, get it? “So there’s a trail that leads down to the pool this way,” He said, pointing toward the left of them a bit, “It’s apparently pretty steep,” He quoted the reviews of the site he’d seen online. “But we’re doing the caves, so we’ll go this way,” To the right this time, “A few minutes of walking down to a cave portal at the base of the rockface.” He wished they could actually get into the spring. It was cold, but still tempting.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She was impressed by a lot, namely his preparedness that continued on with a comforting degree of confidence. Don't panic, he knew what was what and where to go. Still ... even if it was only spring, the sun overhead made the water tempting, "Hey ..." Followed after him, reluctantly turning away from the perfect view as she rushed a bit to fall back in side-by-side.

"Do you know if you can go in the water?" Too many episodes of Monsters Inside Me, enough to make anyone more than just a tiny bit paranoid.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He was prepared to leave most of their things here and start the trek down to the caves, but Piper held him up with the question. "You can, yeah." He said with a nod, but it accompanied a frown, "But, it may be too cold." Well, "For me, at least. You're freaky warm, so it may not matter." Was that an incredibly uncomfortable thing to point out? Sunny wasn't entirely sure.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Oh - no, yeah, you're right." Was her face red? She felt like her face was red. But she didn't always herself to dwell, took off again and fell in line beside him as she went on with a bit more single-minded purpose. "I just thought, you know, maybe I'll come back here when it really warms up." We'll come back here sounded both clingy and presumptuous.

"... Is it that bad? I mean, does it feel gross? Tell me the truth, please."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yikes, there was some awkwardness. Sunny looked over to her, slowing up as he sensed the embarrassment. Whoops. She could come back. Or they could. Or, you know. There was such a weird dynamic here, where it felt so simple in making decisions, but less simple in speaking them into existence. What was appropriate? What was too far?

He blinked as what she was asking dawned on him, and he huffed it. But not at her. Sunny angled himself more toward her to try and catch her eye, “It’s not gross at all.” He assured her, serious for the moment because it just... felt real. Her concern. He was still learning how to read it all, but it was easier to tell between being truly insecure and just being silly about it.

“It’s actually... kinda nice.” Everyone liked warm things, right? His eyes flickered over Piper’s shoulder to Red, who was leaning against a nearby tree and watching on with her arms acrossed and a brow raised suggestively. Oh, shut up.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She relaxed a little when he dismissed her concern, brightened up by a measure and nodded. "I just don't want to be like - weirdly warm and clammy or whatever." Not that she could really help, she didn't think? Anyway. Mindful of her footing, she hurried ahead of him on the incline down and tried not to dwell on it any longer.

"I know it's a trip but I'm surprised no one else seems to be here" A half-hidden secret, that you could find with a well phrased Google - that was beside the point. "New topic, I don't want to talk about my hot hands ... what's your favorite meal?" Glancing briefly over her shoulder before she refocused.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She was warm, but not clammy. He would have assured her of that if she didn't step around him. He was content with her switching to a new topic, and trailing behind her some. "It's a more secluded access point. Most people go to the eastern trailhead." He said as he trekked after her, squinting up at the trees that hung their heads over the trail they walked. Red lingered near him now, but let him turn his attention to Piper as he was prompted about food. Easy. "New Mexican Surf and Turf." He answered promptly. "Specifically from a place in Phoenix called Dick's Hideaway. I don't miss much from Arizona, but God." He'd kill for it. A heavy, reminiscent sigh.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"New Mexican Surf and Turf?" As if, just maybe, she had not heard him correctly the first time that he had said it - or like it was something he made up like how PF Changs was supposed to be some sort of Chinese food or another. "Two follow-ups, can you give me an example dish? And do you know how to cook? Don't lie, there's no shame in it." She'd leave everything else unspoken for the time being.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He forgot that New Mexican food wasn't entirely well known to anyone except for the people that lived in the southwest. She prompted him with explanation, and he clicked his tongue at the promise she wouldn't judge. "New Mexican food is like a mix between Mexican and Pueblo Native American food. It's sorta like how Tex-Mex is, I guess. But better." He wasn't doing the food justice with his explanation, but hopefully she'd understand?

"The surf and turf is steak, bacon wrapped shrimp, and chorizo enchiladas with red and green chile." He moved to duck under a lower hanging branch that Piper was short enough to walk under. "Other dishes are Pozole, Carne adovada..." He wanted to eat his own hand from talking about it. One day, he'd go back. "And, I cook most of my meals." He added in, almost forgetting through the fog of reminiscing about food he could make himself if he really wanted to.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Actually," She cleared her throat, reached up to brush her fingers along the branch as she walked past it. "That works out perfect because I was thinking - if you want, we can do like a dinner swap sometime. I'll make you my favorite food and you make yours and then you can realize that the whole time tonkotsu ramen was your favorite meal."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually. That was a... unique idea, but it sounded fun. And, like a challenge. "I mean, I don't dislike ramen." He said, and moved to absentmindedly brush his fingers on the same branch she had as he passed it. "But now I have to prove you wrong." There was nothing that could compare, sorry. "You're on."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"You have to try, maybe - but an enchilada is an enchilada." It wasn't even sort of true, but the point of crap talking wasn't to stick to the pure fact after all. She glanced back to assess how far down they'd come and grinned to herself, pleased to realize she wasn't even that out of breath, a personal concern formed as soon as she'd agreed to come.

"I wonder if there are bats ..."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How could she say so many horrible things. Why did he even spend time with her! Kidding, but still, it hurt his southwestern soul. They were nearing the cave portal, as indicated by a small mile marker on various trees as they moved down the narrow trail.

”Probably, but I doubt they’ll be active. If there’s a ghost in there I’ll let you know.” A joke with genuine undertones. If it proved to be troublesome he was even willing to expend the energy needed to send it away.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Unless they're like, very friendly - like ... Casper levels of friendly, feel free to keep me in the dark." She unhooked the miniature flashlight from where it swung against her hip with every stride forward. "Do ghosts ever follow people?" Unsure if she even wanted to know, really. "I mean I know you have a best friend, but I mean - regular people?"
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Right, some people didn't like to know. He guessed it was a little fucked up to know something was there when you couldn't see it. At the question, he frowned some in thought. "I don't think so. Or, if they do, it's probably because the person is like me, and just might not know it." He shrugged. They were coming up on a jagged split the rock now. The path bottomed out into a slanted decent that was somewhat rocky, but not in-traversable. It lead right into the mouth of the cave, which was dark but not entirely daunting. "The way it works with Red, she's sort of like." He looked to Red, who looked at him with a raised brow.

'Go on?'

"She's sort of attached to me, and pulls from my energy. If I give her more, she can move stuff or touch things. Less, and I shut her out. I think she's still there, but I don't see her." How was Piper patient enough to listen to him rambling like he was a crazy person? They reached the mouth of the cave, and he fished his own flashlight from a side pocket of his bag. One click, and the first ten feet or so in were illuminated.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She stuck so close she probably seemed to be magnetized, kept just behind him and decided where to plant her feet based on where he stepped and the glow of his flashlight more than the slight light offered from her own.

"How'd you two meet?" Looking up as her voice echoed the slightest bit, whistling as she looked as far into the cave as their lights would carry. "I mean if you - well if both of you guys don't mind me asking." Didn't want the invisible best friend to veto her, after all.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He laughed, more at the echo of her voice and the whistle than the question. His own voice echoed back, as did the crunching of their feet against gravel, stone, and mud as they ventured further in. ”My family moved into an old, refurbished house.” Ironic, right? Since that was what he did for a living. Connect the dots.

“She, er,” Red, whom had pulled ahead to the fringes of his light to look ahead, turned to glance at his pause. A nod. Okay. “She worked there, um, for someone.” Which, was true, she did work and get paid. Just not a lot. It was after slavery was abolished, but not by much. Not that she was treated any better.

”But she was killed. And her spirit lingered, until we moved in.” And the rest was history. ”We figured out she could leave with me. I think some ghosts are forced to stay where they died.” Which really, really blew. They were officially in the center of the cave mouth now, swallowed into darkness save for the light of their flashlights and a shallow attempt from the light outside. There was a pool settled against the back wall of the cave directly ahead of them, stalagmites jutting from its surface and around the edge. There was a twist to the left beyond that that lead deeper in. ”C’mon; I wanna show you something.” He said, and headed along the path of least resistance toward the bend.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

"Oh ..." So she was ... old. She just barely kept herself from saying as much, not wanting to offend as she kept her flashlight down and tried to make absolutely certain she didn't slip and kick her own butt in the process. All the same, it was cool, even if it suddenly felt like going to Chili's with a friend and their great-great-grandma was sitting a couple of tables down, silently and invisibly judging your small talk.

She reached out, hovered her hand near his shoulder but didn't touch him - emergency support that she didn't want to have to use. "What is it?" Not a ghost, please, please, please ... not a ghost - at least not without proper warning and ... not in a cave.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There was a mix of hesitation and mild discomfort there at whatever realization she had, but he wasn’t a mind reader, so he couldn’t give her any comfort. Along with all of that, there was fear, and he turned to look over his shoulder at her briefly as they moved around the bend. “Just hold on. You’re like a kid looking for her Christmas presents early.” It wouldn’t be too much longer, just enough to where he was sure the light from outside was completely cut out. Then, he slowly stopped so she didn’t run into him.

“Turn your light off.” he instructed, as he’d read online that this would only work in pitch black, and promptly did so for his own. Even without hers cut, what he came for was apparent. Without the light from the flashlights, the room was surprisingly not pitch black. Instead, a hazy blue glow settled in around them. For above them, if they looked up, millions of tiny blue lights lit ablaze. Among the velvetine darkness, it was impossible to see the ceiling they clung to, giving the illusion that they were standing beneath a fast sky of alien stars. Beside them, flowing hushedly along the wall of the cavern, a river snaked through the eroded channel it had been carving for millions of years. The lights shimmered in morphed splotches against the black surface. They were, for a moment, somewhere completely foreign.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She hadn't thought about her feelings rubbing off like a stain, didn't think to try to curb her flash of surprise and uncertainty at the instruction to turn off her light. He went first and she reached out, hesitated for a moment as she thought about if she was supposed to ask for permission or not before she pinched the back of his shirt between her fingers, mindful not to touch him outright as she clicked the button and plunged them into black.

A little at ease that she'd feel if he made a beeline away, she was about to ask what this was about before her eyes adjusted enough. Laughing then, she let go and shuffled forward a bit. "Holy crap ... this is - wow ..." A weak laugh as she reached out timidly and brushed her fingers along the damp of one of the walls of the cave.

"Trippy."
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It was scary thing to ask, he realized, but she did trust him enough to follow suit. He was glad she did. Glad she was taken aback by the sight above them just as much as he was. He absently moved to hover a hand near where he could feel her more than see her, making sure she didn't misstep in the darkness when she moved forward. Her reaction was long the lines of his own, and his laugh echoed hers. From in front of him, he could hear Red's voice, as well, "This is... incredible." He was glad she got to see this, too.

Squinting through the low light, he made out the edge's of Piper's form, "They're glow worms." There were a few lower down, connected to where the wall of the cave sloped into the ceiling. It was easier to make them out, their wiggling bodies that occasionally twitched and flashed. Around them like a gooey skirt, strings of... something hung down. A veil of what looked almost like strings of pearls hanging down from around where the worm was attached. "I think read that that stuff is sort of like silk, like a spider web." He informed her.
Wehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh